VOGONS

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What is the maximum RAM you can put on a 386 motherboard that is usable? My board has 8 30-pin slots so using 16mb SIMMs I can install 128mb but would a 386 or 386/486 hybrid chip be able to address this much memory? Would there be a BIOS limitation that would need to be addressed?

Reply 1 of 4, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If the chipset supports it, then it should work on a 386. 386 and 486 are both capable of addressing 4GB of RAM. May I ask which model of motherboard you're using?

Something else to keep your eye on is weather or not memory beyond 64mb is being cached. Typically boards with 256kb SRAM only cache 64mb.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 4, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:

If the chipset supports it, then it should work on a 386. 386 and 486 are both capable of addressing 4GB of RAM. May I ask which model of motherboard you're using?

Something else to keep your eye on is weather or not memory beyond 64mb is being cached. Typically boards with 256kb SRAM only cache 64mb.

I haven't been able to find any identifying marks on the motherboard. The only thing I can find that might have a clue is a sticker on the top that says HL model#005 but on the back it has a tiny HL logo and 003 after it with another number that I can't remember offhand. I can't find anything online in reference to a company called HL or went by that abbreviation that made or sold motherboards. The BIOS is an AMI BIOS with a copyright 1986-1990 on top of the chip.

Reply 3 of 4, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you post what is written on the chips on the motherboard (typically the big ones, from manufacturers like OPTi, SiS, Suntac, C&T), we might be able to help you. A 386 will address 128 MB without problems (how much of it will be cacheable is chipset dependant), but putting these precious 16 MB 30-pin SIMMs into an 386 is a travesty.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices