VOGONS

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How much can you underclock these? Would they work at 75mhz?

Reply 1 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think their lowest multi is 2x. They remap 1.5x to 3.5x internally and I don't know if there are any exceptions. So it'll come down to the minimum fsb of your board

Reply 2 of 10, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

I think their lowest multi is 2x. They remap 1.5x to 3.5x internally and I don't know if there are any exceptions. So it'll come down to the minimum fsb of your board

So it sounds like 100mhz (50 x 2) is as low as I'll be able to go with it, then. That should be slow enough to maintain compatibility with 286/386 games, right?

Reply 3 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

So it sounds like 100mhz (50 x 2) is as low as I'll be able to go with it, then. That should be slow enough to maintain compatibility with 286/386 games, right?

I'm not really a DOS guru, I'm better with hardware of that era but from writing on several forums I'd say there will always be some games that won't run properly, whatever machine you throw at it.

Reply 5 of 10, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

If you're interested in games from that era just build a 386 or slow 486 machine and you're good to go 😉
Better yet, just run DOSBox which will eliminate all incompatibilities.

I'm not paying $200 for a 386/486 motherboard.

Reply 6 of 10, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Um... who ever said you had to pay $200 for one? I got my 486 board for $20, and a complete 386 system for $50 shipped, and neither of those were really spectacular deals.

Reply 7 of 10, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The lowest I have taken a P1 MMX is 133MHz. A P1 166 without MMX could be operated between 50 MHz and 200 MHz. I have not seen a board with MMX voltage compatibility and 50 MHz, but I haven't exactly searched for one either.

I gave up that 50-200 MHz P1 system, cause DosBox could do the same job basically at 50 MHz and a P2 at 200 MHz. And the old Mobo was difficult to maintain (battery etc.).

I got a working 486 for free. They are frequently thrown in the trash, just be there before it hits the can.

I must say however, that I have not yet seen a real advantage of the 486 over DosBox.

Reply 9 of 10, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

If you're interested in games from that era just build a 386 or slow 486 machine and you're good to go 😉
Better yet, just run DOSBox which will eliminate all incompatibilities.

You can find a full 486 tower with either very low money or just in the trash.
And that's here in Greece, imagine how many you can find in the rest of the world! 😉

Reply 10 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I can tell you that the supply of 486 boards in The Netherlands has dried up since the last couple years. They are much much harder to find now. Now and then you can find one offered but usually it's pick up only and I can't manage that by bike 🙁