VOGONS

Score!

Topic actions

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Browsing ebay looking for 386/486 stuff and found a lot of old 486 parts including:

Unknown brand motherboard, has CPU (unknown speed) with green heatsink (Cyrix?) and fan, 8 slots (5 16 bit, 3 VL Bus), AWARD BIOS. Missing backup coin battery.

Trident TGUI9440 VL Bus video, not sure how much memory

Sound card with Analog Devices AD9069 chip and some kind of daughterboard (wavetable?) attached. Probably generic SB compatible.

Modem card. Has Cirrus Logic chips on it, but I don't know if CL made modems or just sold chips to those who did.

A-IDE102VL VL Bus IDE card

Locking front control panel from whatever PC the parts were removed from. Probably not usable in any other case because of odd shape.

4 Memory modules

(1) TOSHIBA TC514400ASJ-60

(1) SIEMENS HYB514400BJ-70

(1) TEXAS INSTRUMENT TMS417400DJ

(1) TEXAS INSTRUMENT TMS44400DJ

Miscellaneous cables and an internal speaker.

$28.50 shipped. 🤑 😁

Not sure how much of it works, if any, but for the price it seemed worth taking a chance on. All descriptive terms are sellers, not mine, so if something above doesn't sound right, IT'S NOT MY FAULT! 😁

Reply 1 of 11, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're lucky, any time I've checked eBay people want ridiculous prices on things that really aren't worth half what they are asking.
$150 For a voodoo2? Really?

I know they're not too common anymore but that is $130 more than I would be willing to pay.

Reply 2 of 11, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could you please unattach the Waveblaster daughterboard carefully and take a photo of it?
Or at least name the chip IDs on it.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 3 of 11, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, I got everything yesterday and the CPU is a Cyrix DX2-80. My first 486 was an AMD DX2-80 but my motherboard had only one VL Bus slot. Damn, I wish I'd known how much these parts are worth now because it was only in the last year I threw away a whole bunch of 286-486, and Pentium parts. My lowest machines are now P2's and 3's. I also had the chance a couple years ago to get a boxed Radio Shack 486 system that I passed up because it was too old. Really kicking myself for letting that one go now.

As for the sound card, I'm not sure if the daughtercard is wavetable or not. It has two rows of pins, 1 up the front of the card and the other up the back, 10 pins each. It has a chip about 1 inch square that says Dream France L5A6329 on it, a 44.1mhz crystal, a smaller chip that says MMPower MMP4801 and another that says Breve BS3101H. On the board itself it says PCM 168 module and MMPower 1992-93. The main board and the daughterboard are both yellow. The main board is a 12" board and has three CD ROM headers for Sony, Panasonic, and I think it's Mitsumi? On the card it says AIM16D1 v1.0. Most of the chips say Breve on them but there's a TI chip in a socket that says TMS JL 27c512-15. The Analog Devices chip says AD 90609 1848 Soundport 9352 MPB15248. I hope that's enough to identify this thing.

My first impression is that it's some kind of Aztech OEM thing because it has similarities to some Aztech Packard Bell cards I've seen.

Reply 4 of 11, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The prices are goofy today. A couple of years ago I was buying cheap ebay auction lots of 486 mobos, VLB cards and RAM. Then some seller got smart and everyone else followed suit...

It's ok though because I'm starting to really appreciate DOSBOX more than blowing whole evenings trying to straighten out unstable 486-era hardware. 😀

Reply 5 of 11, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

It's ok though because I'm starting to really appreciate DOSBOX more than blowing whole evenings trying to straighten out unstable 486-era hardware. 😀

I like blowing whole evenings trying to straighten out unstable 486-era hardware. 😉
But I do really like DOSBox too! 😀

Reply 7 of 11, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

omg out of the woodwork RG100 is back!!

I wish I could pay someone to do all of the things on my "stuff to do" list, so I could restart my retro hardware testing. Alas, back to the real world...
Subsequently, I've got a backlog of untested ebay goodies including a big box of stuff coming from Retro Fun Land (Germany) next week - 486 mobos, some more evil VIA stuff 😉, plenty of ISA goodness, etc.
BTW, Timber had some Voodoos on ebay the other day. I got outbid on all of it! Some interesting MAC stuff in there too, such as V4s and V5s.
But I did win a Powerleap adapter (rev 2) for < $5 which surprised me.

sliderider, I hope your 486 works OK. How are you getting on with it?

Reply 8 of 11, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:
I wish I could pay someone to do all of the things on my "stuff to do" list, so I could restart my retro hardware testing. Alas […]
Show full quote
swaaye wrote:

omg out of the woodwork RG100 is back!!

I wish I could pay someone to do all of the things on my "stuff to do" list, so I could restart my retro hardware testing. Alas, back to the real world...
Subsequently, I've got a backlog of untested ebay goodies including a big box of stuff coming from Retro Fun Land (Germany) next week - 486 mobos, some more evil VIA stuff 😉, plenty of ISA goodness, etc.
BTW, Timber had some Voodoos on ebay the other day. I got outbid on all of it! Some interesting MAC stuff in there too, such as V4s and V5s.
But I did win a Powerleap adapter (rev 2) for < $5 which surprised me.

sliderider, I hope your 486 works OK. How are you getting on with it?

I need to get an AT style power supply. I got rid of all the ones I had a while back before I decided how much I missed DOS gaming on a real computer instead of through an emulator. 😒

The video card I got with the parts is a Trident TGUI9440. I'm assuming this is one of the Windows accelerators that I probably don't want, right?
There's two empty sockets on this card. Does anyone know what goes in them?

Here's what it looks like (I hope the pic links)

4bb5_12.JPG

Reply 10 of 11, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

I need to get an AT style power supply. I got rid of all the ones I had a while back before I decided how much I missed DOS gaming on a real computer instead of through an emulator. 😒

It's possible to use a modern ATX PSU in conjunction with a cheap adapter, for use on old mobos such as a 486. The adapters can be found on ebay. A search for
at atx cable
will get you started. I use 486 mobos quite a bit and have no AT power supplies, only ATX PSUs with an adapter. You can even buy new ATX PSUs with the -5v rail. If you live in Europe, the Nexus NX-3500 PSU is a good PSU to buy that has a -5v rail. It's 350W, has old molex connections, and is very quiet. In the UK, the online retailer KustomPCs sells them. (More stock due in a few weeks, apparently!)

http://www.nexustek.nl/NXS-nx3500realsilentpo … pply350watt.htm (Nexus PSU)

Reply 11 of 11, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retro games 100 wrote:

I like blowing whole evenings trying to straighten out unstable 486-era hardware. 😉
But I do really like DOSBox too! 😀

Same here! 😀

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers