VOGONS

First post, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a 80286 (exactly, an Am80286) with a Kentech motherboard on it (I don't know what is the brand actually, but "Kentech Computer" is what written on the mobo). It had a ST11 harddisk controller, along with a ST238R harddisk (it was not IDE, it is the kind of drive which had two IDE-like cable going to the ISA slot controller).

When I cleaned up my computing space last month, I decided to put it on the storage room so my IBM PC 330 would sit nice on the 286's desk (and I don't use the 286 too often because of the monitor being flickered heavily).

A month later, I tried to powering up the 286. Usually at the end of the POST screen, it would say:

ST11 BIOS
1 hard disk present Seagate ST238R

but, now it is freezing on the "ST11 BIOS" screen. A minutes later, it showed up :

ST11 BIOS
No Hard disks present.

I looked around... and found that I was placing the computer right to an old, big, tall speaker which has wiring problems (but of course, with a good enormous amount of magnet inside). Even though it was placed around 20 cm from the harddrive, I thought that the speaker messed something up on the drive, rendering it unusable.

Is there any suggestion about how to restoring the harddrive to its useable condition?

(Last minute update: Just tried to insert the "ST11 Disk Reinitialization Diskette" to the diskette drive, but it wouldn't load, and filled the whole screen with colourful blocks of random ASCII characters. It could be corrupt, or maybe it doesn't work with the broken ST238R?)

Reply 1 of 4, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you change the CMOS battery in the last - mmmh - 20 years?
If not it may also be possible that the battery is empty and the drives information is no longer available.
To check this (unless you've changed the battery before) turn on the machine, enter the BIOS setup and type in the drives parameters manually. After this it should start normally until you unpower the pc again.
If this happens you have to change the battery.
You should get the information demanded by the BIOS setup here:

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?name=Le … &reqPage=Legacy#

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-drives-hdd/s … -RLL-ST412.html

Good luck!

Reply 2 of 4, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Silent Loon wrote:
Did you change the CMOS battery in the last - mmmh - 20 years? If not it may also be possible that the battery is empty and the […]
Show full quote

Did you change the CMOS battery in the last - mmmh - 20 years?
If not it may also be possible that the battery is empty and the drives information is no longer available.
To check this (unless you've changed the battery before) turn on the machine, enter the BIOS setup and type in the drives parameters manually. After this it should start normally until you unpower the pc again.
If this happens you have to change the battery.
You should get the information demanded by the BIOS setup here:

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?name=Le … &reqPage=Legacy#

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-drives-hdd/s … -RLL-ST412.html

Good luck!

The BIOS is an Award Modular 286 BIOS. Yes, I changed the CMOS battery back in 2006 when I acquired that system (the old one won't work and DOS 3.1 keep giving me "Enter new time" prompt).

I can't access the BIOS setting - as soon as it finishes testing the RAM, CMOS etc, it would freeze in the "ST11 BIOS" screen for around 2 minutes before the "No harddisk present" appears. Tried to press the BIOS setup key when the memory testing, but it doesn't want to recognize. (Usually it would be recognized on a short delay after the "1 Hard disk present Seagate ST238R" appears and just before the DOS loaded -- there are around 3 seconds of silence).

Edit: Removed the CMOS battery and try pressing Ctrl+Esc, it works. But there are no setting of custom disk layout - just hard disk type numbers (1, 2, 3, 4, etc until around 41). I'll try to examine it one by one, just in case one of the number works.

Reply 3 of 4, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Usually one or two of the positions hold no data, that's where you can enter the layout of your disk.

If it turns out that the drive is defective you could replace the MFM controller with an IDE-ISA controller and use an IDE to CF card adapter with a CF card of low capacity.

That's the way I've done it with my 286:

286 Total Conversion

It will reduce the noise dramatically, but it's only possible when you can enter custom drive parameters.

Reply 4 of 4, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Silent Loon wrote:
Usually one or two of the positions hold no data, that's where you can enter the layout of your disk. […]
Show full quote

Usually one or two of the positions hold no data, that's where you can enter the layout of your disk.

If it turns out that the drive is defective you could replace the MFM controller with an IDE-ISA controller and use an IDE to CF card adapter with a CF card of low capacity.

That's the way I've done it with my 286:

286 Total Conversion

It will reduce the noise dramatically, but it's only possible when you can enter custom drive parameters.

Okay then. I just borrowed an ISA IDE controller and an ancient IDE HDD (around 150MB) from my friend's 386, it seems to work properly. I'll try to find one.

Beside that, do you know why the monitor acted strange? It behaves like if the monitor was viewed in a camera (bold lines from below to up, every +- 5 seconds or so). I only had this monitor with serial port connector, so I couldn't find another one.