Here's a beastly motherboard

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Freak wrote:

I worked at a company that used one as a massive I/O server. Ran SCO Unixware, IIRC. (Before SCO became "the devil".) Was full of serial port cards, handling communication between a few hundred serial terminals and a mainframe. Didn't need all the RAM or disks, but the CPUs and PCI slots were what mattered.

I see. No wonder they need such many processors.

And yup, infrastructure is always my weakest spot.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 22 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

I wonder who used those overpowered Pentium Pro servers, and for what purpose. Database server? Web server? IIRC, people were mostly using Alpha and AS400 for heavy-duty servers. Yup, I have seen 486 servers too, but based on what I seen (at least on my campus), x86 servers were primarily used for Novell Netware servers or development servers.

I once found what I think was a 486 server. It's case was kinda like the standard U-cap cases, except twice as high! And the thing was HEA-VY!!!
It has a non-standard motherboard and as there was no way I could bike the thing for about 15 kilometers, I decided to gut it right there on the street.

It has the 486 on a small daughterboard, I still got the daughterboard around somewhere, cannibalized a couple of the sram chips along the way

Reply 24 of 24, by imendit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, I have one of these. The power supply is actual a 2 stage power supply (I think). No case, just the board, PSU(s), all 4 CPU's and RAM. I powered it up with a standard PCI video card. Nothing displayed. I've just left it in the back-burner without much motive to get it to go as I wouldn't know where to go with it next. Let me know if there's interest for images or re-attempts to get it going.