VOGONS

Blue screen with nVidia Riva TNT2 M64

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had an Pentium 4 PC with AGP nVidia Riva TNT2 model 64 32MB installed. OS is Windows XP SP2. Mobo is Asus P4S333 (SiS chipset, don't know the exact number).

When I do some photoshop-ing, editing some videos (using Windows Movie Maker), or even watching some DVDs, the PC would lock up and then arrived on a bluescreen, saying that there is a problem with nv4_disp.dll.

I have tried to reinstalled Windows, reinstalled the driver (both the latest driver and also the driver shipped with the CD), and the problem doesn't gone.

At present I am using Windows Generic Video Adapter driver which really sucks (it is even slower than my Trio64v) to get it work.

Interestingly, in Linux I can activate even the desktop effects like Compiz, so I don't think that my hardware is failure (it is just some driver issue).

Thanks for your answers.

Reply 1 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Best bet like most Nvidia driver when the chipset is no longer supported is to go back to a driver version when the video card was actually supported. Can't remember what it was for TNT2 series but probably somewhere in the 50x series.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2010-07-13, 17:41. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 8, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would make sure that Chipset and GART drivers are properly installed. Look for those drivers that are specific for that motherboard.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 5 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tried another card yet? That graphics card isn't particularly good for your system anyway. I use cards like that on sub 1Ghz systems myself.

Other then that, what drivers have you tried so far?
This thread suggests some versions for your card on XP
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28917

Reply 6 of 8, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have installed both the nVidia driver and SiS AGP Port driver. I also tried reinstalling the Windows, no luck yet.

About the memory, I just ran MemTest86+ (the one shipped with ubuntu) for 2 times, and no bad memory blocks. The memory itself is a new memory (around 5 months). The old memory has some bad blocks and I exchanged the memory with the new one, as it has lifetime warranty. The memory is 2x 512 + 1x 128.

About new card, I will get a hand-me-down ATi card with 128M memory in a few weeks. It has several issues with Windows 7 not appearing correctly, but as I am not using Windows 7, it will be okay for me. This card is shipped with me when I build my computer (as I remember, I got it bundled with motherboard or got it as an extra, because I didn't paid for the card).

Reply 7 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should try an older NVIDIA driver as suggested by DOSFreak. I've seen the newer drivers be unstable with TNT and old GeForce cards.

I'd go back to a 45.xx or 5x.xx pack.

Be sure to uninstall the current driver before installing a different one.

Reply 8 of 8, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I uninstalled the driver (at present is using Windows generic video adaptor) and then reinstalled the driver using the driver from CD (it is 45 point something, I don't really remember as I am in Linux now). It is generally more stable. But I lost the nVidia control panel, it doesn't matter as I never used it.

It seems that the culprit was I am installing the driver on top of Windows generic driver for nVidia Riva (which is for a broad range of card, Riva / TNT / TNT2 m64). It is fine now.

Thank you for all your support and suggestions. This thread is now solved.