VOGONS

5 video cards for $4.99

Topic actions

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another lot of video cards for vintage game benchmarking.

# Hercules 3D Prophet II GTS PRO 64MB
# Diamond Stealth 64
# Diamond Viper II Z200 2MX32 S1
# Intel 740 8MB Video Card
# Generic NV880 TW-15

Reply 1 of 44, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. YES! I have one, it's mighty.
2. NO!!!!
3. Okay? Prepare to meet incompetent driver support though... Savage2000s suck in the hype-towards-disappointment area. (try 'dmmq3' maps with it, they were made for the card)
4. An AGP relic hard to come by these days
5. never heard of this one.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 44, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:
1. YES! I have one, it's mighty. 2. NO!!!! 3. Okay? Prepare to meet incompetent driver support though... Savage2000s suck in the […]
Show full quote

1. YES! I have one, it's mighty.
2. NO!!!!
3. Okay? Prepare to meet incompetent driver support though... Savage2000s suck in the hype-towards-disappointment area. (try 'dmmq3' maps with it, they were made for the card)
5. never heard of this one.

From what I can find, NV880 is a Geforce 2MX. I'm not sure where nv880 comes from. I think it might be something printed on the circuit board that people who don't know what the card is use as an identifier because I've seen it associated with the GF2MX before.

Reply 3 of 44, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

S3 Savage 2000 😀

I also have a AGP i740 in the archive drawer but I've never been motivated enough to bother with it. i740 is basically an Intel AGP marketing tool though in that it is very dependent on AGP texturing. The PCI card has a false AGP bus onboard to emulate AGP memory!

Reply 4 of 44, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

2. NO!!!!

Wait... what's wrong with a Diamond Stealth 64? I mean, it's no good as far as 3D goes, since none of the various iterations of it had 3D chipsets, but it should make a really nice DOS card.

Reply 5 of 44, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup, it's not that bad but in a way, in any mass sale I consider cards like that to be just filler. They are good as they have good 2D and good drivers and, apart from the 3D, no problems to speak of.

Reply 6 of 44, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did anyone really try an S3 Virge in glQuake?
I remember trying it once, I'm not sure how - direct3d wrapper perhaps?

The performance was terrible of course but was interesting nonetheless.

Reply 7 of 44, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Which actually did bad PR to AGP, since the PCI version is faster due to the use of local video RAM instead of system RAM.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 8 of 44, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got enough AGP relics laying around I think. Including 2 of those Intel 740 thingies. They had large GPU heatsinks for a graphics card of it's time.

Maybe it's picture time? I got a couple other items to shoot (including a socket 3 board with a veeery nice CPU I never seen in the wild before 😀 )

Edit: Theres 1 thing that old AGP cards in an old AGP board are good for actually...when using one of those cards you get to use one more PCI slot 😁

Reply 9 of 44, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheLazy1 wrote:

Did anyone really try an S3 Virge in glQuake?
I remember trying it once, I'm not sure how - direct3d wrapper perhaps?

The performance was terrible of course but was interesting nonetheless.

Ofc i tried it back there in 1997 with mine S3 Virge DX - no OpenGL support so only wrapper worked. It wasnt playable on K5 and it isnt even now playbable on Athlon XP - 320x200 resolutin - slowest Virge have 11Fps, fastest GX2 have 21fps...

http://82.114.193.227/vga2/index.php?option=c … marks&Itemid=37

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 12 of 44, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

I got enough AGP relics laying around I think. Including 2 of those Intel 740 thingies. They had large GPU heatsinks for a graphics card of it's time.

Maybe it's picture time? I got a couple other items to shoot (including a socket 3 board with a veeery nice CPU I never seen in the wild before 😀 )

Edit: Theres 1 thing that old AGP cards in an old AGP board are good for actually...when using one of those cards you get to use one more PCI slot 😁

Yes, picture time. I want to see this rare 486 class chip that you never saw before. I'll take my three swings and guess it's probably either a Pentium Overdrive or the faster version of the AMD 5x86 that was actually rated for 160mhz operation on a 40mhz motherboard. If it's not one of those, then maybe an actual, honest to goodness 486 DX 50 (not DX2). Are any of those right?

Reply 13 of 44, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheLazy1 wrote:

Hey!
Don't be insultin' the PCX2...

*hugs M3D*

Matrox sucks. Let's hear it for the Parhelia! *blows raspberry* pfffft!

😁

The only Power VR chips I like are Kyro and Kyro II (and the Dreamcast GPU). I am currently seeking high and low for a 3d Prophet 4500 that doesn't cost a mint just to see for myself if any of the raves it was getting back in the day were really true. (Damn vintage gamers driving up the prices on everything. Bah!) 😁

Last edited by sliderider on 2010-07-23, 01:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 44, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I almost had a pair of Parhelias for $30 the other day but I forgot about the auction. They just had dead fans. Those cards usually sell for ridiculous sums still today.

I liked my G200 and G400 cards back in the day, but they aren't the best choices for gaming and never were. Better off with a Voodoo3 at the time, or a Voodoo5 now for those old games.

Reply 15 of 44, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

I almost had a pair of Parhelias for $30 the other day but I forgot about the auction. They just had dead fans. Those cards usually sell for ridiculous sums still today.

Video card + dead fan = dead or damaged video card in my experience more often than not. Maybe it's better you did forget.

Reply 16 of 44, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How does the G200 compare to the Rage Pro when it comes to DOS and Direct3D?

What my current setup thought is:

Voodoo2: Glide and OpenGL (when wrapper available)
PCX2: SGL (or OpenGL wrapper when I want higher visual quality)
Matrox G200: Direct3D

The PCX2 can do Direct3d, but I'm not sure how it compares performance wise.
I remember it having very nice image quality.

Reply 17 of 44, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheLazy1 wrote:
How does the G200 compare to the Rage Pro when it comes to DOS and Direct3D? […]
Show full quote

How does the G200 compare to the Rage Pro when it comes to DOS and Direct3D?

What my current setup thought is:

Voodoo2: Glide and OpenGL (when wrapper available)
PCX2: SGL (or OpenGL wrapper when I want higher visual quality)
Matrox G200: Direct3D

The PCX2 can do Direct3d, but I'm not sure how it compares performance wise.
I remember it having very nice image quality.

My understanding was that Rage Pro could SOMETIMES run with Riva 128 and the contemporary Voodoo accelerator of the same time frame but usually lagged them both in most benchmarks. MY only experience with Rage Pro is in my Powermac G3's and then I upgraded those to Rage 128 Pro's and it was like night and day the speed difference.

Reply 18 of 44, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

G200 is not too bad with the last batch of drivers. Speed at 640x480 is probably better than Voodoo1 but it can run >640x480 and 32-bit too. G200 had issues during most of its life though because the drivers were not great for its first year or two. OpenGL in particular was very bad and the only initial option was a slow & buggy D3D to GL wrapper for Quake games.

The biggest issue for non-Voodoo cards is the lack of Glide support. You simply can not match a Voodoo card's quality and speed in games that focused on Glide first and foremost.

Rage Pro isn't too bad as long as you pick the drivers well. look here. I've used a few Rage Mobility-equipped notebooks. It's about as fast as a Voodoo1 but you can again get access to higher resolutions. Voodoo really had an interesting disadvantage with its split memory design and the resulting relatively small framebuffer.

Reply 19 of 44, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Yes, picture time. I want to see this rare 486 class chip that you never saw before. I'll take my three swings and guess it's probably either a Pentium Overdrive or the faster version of the AMD 5x86 that was actually rated for 160mhz operation on a 40mhz motherboard. If it's not one of those, then maybe an actual, honest to goodness 486 DX 50 (not DX2). Are any of those right?

Close. It was an AMD SX2-66! I have come across TONS, an endless supply of the 25 and 33 Intel SX ones, but never seen one made by AMD (nor a clock doubled one).
btw, I already got a DX-50 and an SX-16 but I've never actually found either a POD nor one of the 5x86's in the wild. I got all those chips from the Internet ;D