two s3 virge/vx cards

Topic actions

First post, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

from iodata and stb.
both are functional, but only the iodata one has been tested throughout because my old win98 harddisk broke down just before i got the stb one, so i only powered up the computer with it.

test results:
3dmark99max: 180pts
3dmark2000: 225pts
glquake and quake2: both around 4~4.5fps, depending on the test demos used.

all tests were run on 640*480*16, the drivers are really unstable and usually crashes when you begin a test on higher resolutions. needless to say that the image quality is horrible, with a lot of messed up triangles and textures. glquake and quake2 world is somewhat foggy.

Attachments

• Filename
    P1020678.JPG
    File size
    807.63 KiB
    Downloads
    307 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 40, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quick google shows this thread....
http://forum.beyond3d.com/archive/index.php/t-49398.html

... and a link to this file (also attached)....
http://www.gamefront.com/files/s3quakezip/;94 … ;/fileinfo.html

Attachments

• Filename
    s3quake.zip
    File size
    30.51 KiB
    Downloads
    233 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 8 of 40, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, I've tried it with a Virge 325. It's kinda cool to actually see the Virge accelerate Quake, but there are a lot of missing textures as I remember it and it is slow as hell.

I had an S3 Virge AGP back in 98 or so, and this was basically my experience, any game I tried to use hardware acceleration just had white/grey surfaces instead of textures, and was actually slower than software mode.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 9 of 40, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How would a Savage 3D or Savage 4 work? It might be overpowered for the CPU, but it should run Quake fast enough without glitching out, and use S3 texture compression right?

Here's a vid of a laptop with a PIII 600 and S3 Savage playing Q2. I'm not sure what CPU the original poster has, but it doesn't look glitchy to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihg3xXABHjc

Savage cards are dead cheap now so there's no reason not to just get one.

Reply 10 of 40, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:
How would a Savage 3D or Savage 4 work? It might be overpowered for the CPU, but it should run Quake fast enough without glitchi […]
Show full quote

How would a Savage 3D or Savage 4 work? It might be overpowered for the CPU, but it should run Quake fast enough without glitching out, and use S3 texture compression right?

Here's a vid of a laptop with a PIII 600 and S3 Savage playing Q2. I'm not sure what CPU the original poster has, but it doesn't look glitchy to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihg3xXABHjc

Savage cards are dead cheap now so there's no reason not to just get one.

Savage3D or Savage4 would be alright as long as you stick to lower resolutions. The Savage4's performance is roughly close to that of a TNT. Works nicely for Q2 and Q3A. Savage 2000 is just balls though. In later integrated versions of VIA/S3's chips, they used the Savage 2000's 2D part and instead used the Savage4 for 3D.

As for the ViRGE, I wouldn't use that for anything 3D unless you want to play those one or two S3D-only games.

Reply 12 of 40, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

InControl99 sucks though

Not to mention a major pain to completely get rid of from the system. Just don't use Diamond's drivers; the reference ones seem to work okay.

Reply 13 of 40, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pippy P. Poopypants wrote:

Savage 2000 is just balls though.

I can vouch for this. S2000 has performance problems with even games using S3 Metal. It's awful. It also has weird issues like having 2D acceleration die when you exit a game (2D goes ultra slow).

If you force-enable the T&L you can see through walls in Q3A. 😉 The geometry isn't rendered correctly and so you can see through the map.

But I'm not sure if a Savage 4 is better.... I have a hard time believing that S3 made good drivers or good hardware at any point. 😁

Reply 14 of 40, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

I can vouch for this. S2000 has performance problems with even games using S3 Metal. It's awful. It also has weird issues like having 2D acceleration die when you exit a game (2D goes ultra slow).

If you force-enable the T&L you can see through walls in Q3A. 😉 The geometry isn't rendered correctly and so you can see through the map.

And as if that wasn't bad enough, enabling T&L also worsens performance, much like the 3D decelerator that the ViRGE was. Perhaps a good market for S3 would be in the biomedical industry - find some way to slow the aging process 😉.

swaaye wrote:

But I'm not sure if a Savage 4 is better.... I have a hard time believing that S3 made good drivers or good hardware at any point. 😁

Savage4 is mildly better, but lots of bugs still show up in newer games (post-1999). Once 3D acceleration became mainstream, S3 just couldn't keep up. Although there are plenty of videos on youtube demonstrating somewhat-modern games on the VIA/S3 Chrome integrated chipsets.

Reply 16 of 40, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

^
I had a Kyro II card until earlier today. A kid came over to check out my old Micron P200 box and buy it from me and he spotted the Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 I had and he just had to have it so I just gave it to him.

I give credit to that card because it tries so damn hard to impress but, unfortunately, it was born in a time in which the GeForce already existed. As much as I love the GeForce 256 DDR, it almost seems nVidia was just being unfair to the competition.

Reply 17 of 40, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GXL750 wrote:

^
I had a Kyro II card until earlier today. A kid came over to check out my old Micron P200 box and buy it from me and he spotted the Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 I had and he just had to have it so I just gave it to him.

I give credit to that card because it tries so damn hard to impress but, unfortunately, it was born in a time in which the GeForce already existed. As much as I love the GeForce 256 DDR, it almost seems nVidia was just being unfair to the competition.

there are still some Hercules4500s around here, but i am just too lazy to get one. 😎
kyro2 is somewhat a regarded chip. it has very low theoretical specs(similar to the tnt2pro) but excellent efficency, and actual performance is near the gf256ddr. shame it has no T&L and is therefore thrown into the downgraded DX7 cards group.

Reply 18 of 40, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Kyro II took no time becoming obsolete (mainly thanks to it's tile based rendering) but never the less, in 2000 and 2001, it was a great chip. The 3D Prophet 4500 was a great performer when new. It's like comparing a K6-2 to a Pentium II. While new, it performed great and provided awesome value for cash spent but, ultimately, software and standards pushed it to the side.