Rank Newbie
Rank

http://www.mike65.ukfsn.org/main/uploads/files/old/

I think the battery has leaked out...

From what I can tell

Some sort of isa i/o card.
Texas instruments cpu
8mb of edo? half samsung half siemens

anyone got any information on the motherboard?
Or connecting drives to it?
Or powering it?

Reply 1 of 9, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yes, the ISA card is a usual 2xCOM, 1xLPT, Joystick, Floppy, IDE controller.

The mainboard - what is there much to identify? 😉 A 486 ISA-only mainboard with MX chipset, a 33MHz outsider CPU, no cache and 8MB DRAM installed. The traces apparently haven't suffered from the acid yet so remove the battery and clean up thoroughly.

For powering, you need an old-style AT power supply or an ATX one plus ATX-AT adapter cable (the black wires go together in the center of the connector). You'll also need an ISA graphics card and for connecting drives you can try the floppy and IDE connectors on the I/O card. There are chances it will have problems with drives > ~500MB.

1+1=10

Reply 3 of 9, by Simon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

so would it loose its bios settings but run okay with out the battery?

What cpus does it support? is the one thats on it now any good?

i didnt see the ide connector on the i/o card, good spot 😁

Reply 4 of 9, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Oh - that evil CPU with 486 printed on it 😉 Also makes up the lack of size with additional height.

The board should POST without battery.
The 4-pin connector next to the battery with the jumper on it in the middle is most likely for an external 3.6V lithium cell.

1+1=10

Reply 6 of 9, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Depending on your electrical skills, either buy a battery with the 4-pin connector pre-fitted (apparently they can get expensive) or get a battery with soldering fins and heat-shrinking tube and use the cable from an old PC-speaker.

1+1=10

Reply 7 of 9, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can snip the battery out, though it'd be better to desolder it.

As far as hooking up a new battery, use the 4-pin connector directly below the original battery. Remove the jumper, then hook the new battery to the outer two pins... it looks like the inner pin is positive, but I'd take a multimeter and test between each of the two pins and ground to be sure.

As far as what to actually use as a replacement battery, some people have had luck with lithium coin cells (see this thread), just using one of the standard holders with wires soldered to each lead. But, on my board, 3V wasn't enough... I'd just go ahead and use three AAAs in one of these. (Those circuits are usually tolerant of up to 6V, so using 4.5V rather than the original 3.6V shouldn't be a problem.)

Reply 9 of 9, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do i just gentle press it near the points on the back till it melts and pop it off?

Basically, yeah. Get one side loose, then the other side. Usually the battery is hotglued, too, so it may take a good bit of wiggling to get the thing to pop loose.

The motherboard should work with any 386DX or 486DLC processors, and perhaps even some of the more obscure variants, like the TI 486SXL and IBM Blue Lightning. But I'd say stick with the one you have in there now, it's about the best balance of performance as you're gonna get.