Topic actions

Reply 22 of 61, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Simon wrote:

VooDoo3 300016mb 210-0364-003 128Bit AGP 2x

That a good one? IRRC irrc there was no 32mb version? and it was faster than most 32mb cards at the time anyway, g400 etc.

You are correct 😉
Just remember not to plug it into an AGP slot that's overclocked to 89Mhz or you will fry it

Reply 23 of 61, by Simon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I will reset the bios before i turn it on so it should be all stock.

SHould be built next by next weekend

I have tried to make it a typical to high end mid 99-00ish computer, do you think i achieved my goal?

Specs

p3 667
abit bh6
256 133 (This seems a little high for the time, if i can find a 128 or 2x64 i will use that)
voodoo3 3000
300w psu
sb awe64 gold
17" ctx monitor

Hard drive will probably be 20gig or so.

Total build cost is so far £20

I have a promise ultra 133, Should I run my hard drives off that or the motherboard? Will I see any performance gain?

Reply 24 of 61, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just remember not to plug it into an AGP slot that's overclocked to 89Mhz or you will fry it

No you won't. Voodoo3 cards tend to be perfectly happy at 89mhz AGP speed, but even if you get one that isn't, you just have to back down on the bus speed until it starts working, no harm done.

Reply 25 of 61, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

No you won't. Voodoo3 cards tend to be perfectly happy at 89mhz AGP speed, but even if you get one that isn't, you just have to back down on the bus speed until it starts working, no harm done.

Pfew, well thanks for pointing that out to me 😀

@Simon:
You have basically these choices:
Either run your CPU at 667Mhz and your AGP much too high at 89Mhz (= at your own risk) or you can run the AGP card properly but will have to underclock your CPU to 500Mhz 🙁

Reply 26 of 61, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I noticed that my previous post may have sounded a little short, I hope you didn't take it the wrong way.

But, the point remains... I know for awhile there was speculation that it could cause problems, but in reality I've never heard of any video card, be it a Voodoo, Geforce, Matrox, whatever, actually being permanently damaged by a high AGP bus speed. There were certainly enough people running 133mhz BX boards and similar setups, and given the overwhelming propensity of people to complain on the internet, I'd think we would have seen a bunch of reports of dead cards, if there was anything to report.

Reply 27 of 61, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm using an Intel SE440BX-2 motherboard and it's always been rock solid! It supports all 66/100fsb Slot 1 Pentium/Celeron CPU's upto 850mhz. It may work with faster CPU' but i think 850mhz was the fastest available when Intel updated their CPU support list.

My P3 retro rig specs are:

*Pentium III 850mhz Coppermine (100mhz fsb)
*Intel SE440BX-2 motherboard
*384mb Kingston PC100 RAM (3 x 128mb dimm's)
*64mb 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 AGP graphics
*Yamaha YMF-724 PCI sound card with PC/PCI (SB-link) cable for great Dos compatibility (SB Pro 2.0, General/Roland Midi and true OPL3 support).
*40gb Maxtor IDE hard drive
*16x CD/DVD-RW drive
*Win98SE

It's a great stable system and works with the majority of 3DFX Glide, Windows 9x and Dos games 😎

I have a spare P3 650mhz cpu available... the AGP port will run at the correct speed with this cpu (100mhz fsb + coppermine core).

Reply 28 of 61, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My wife had a BX board (133/89 MHz) with a Voodoo3 AGP. The Voodoo card died after a few years, but I don't think it was caused by the overclocked AGP.

Reply 29 of 61, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5u3 wrote:

My wife had a BX board (133/89 MHz) with a Voodoo3 AGP. The Voodoo card died after a few years, but I don't think it was caused by the overclocked AGP.

I would imagine the card slowly baked itself... those V3's run very hot! As did the Voodoo Banshee (i went through a couple myself 😒 ).

Reply 30 of 61, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, noticed that myself. I once build a system with a banshee for my first voodoo rig, but as Unreal gave me troubles I decided it was easier to replace the banshee with a tnt2 vanta and the system used over 10W less right away! (I added a single voodoo 2 later).

Nowdays I want to make sure I don't burn up any of my Voodoo's. Especially the PCI Voodoo 3 ones seem to become very hot. I've found working Voodoo 3's which actually were discolored where the little heatsink is!

Reply 31 of 61, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

YI've found working Voodoo 3's which actually were discolored where the little heatsink is!

It's amazing how the PCB doesn't warp! I've seen quite a few old boards where the PCB has discoloured due to extreme temperatures... and they still work fine! If it were an Xbox 360 or PS3 reaching those temps then there would be a house fire 🤣

Reply 32 of 61, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've found working Voodoo 3's which actually were discolored where the little heatsink is!

I have a slightly discolored V3... but it's one of the weird Compaq OEM ones, didn't even have a heatsink on it originally, just the bare chip. Still works great, but I added a heatsink just to be safe.

Reply 33 of 61, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

I've found working Voodoo 3's which actually were discolored where the little heatsink is!

I have a slightly discolored V3... but it's one of the weird Compaq OEM ones, didn't even have a heatsink on it originally, just the bare chip. Still works great, but I added a heatsink just to be safe.

Isn't that the Voodoo 3 1000? I remember having seen it mentioned while internetting for something else recently

Reply 34 of 61, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah. Very strange looking card, wholly different from any of the other V3s. 125mhz clock speed, 16MB SGRAM (which on mine are 6ns parts). With a decent heatsink on it, it'll actually do 166mhz without any problem.

Reply 35 of 61, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Yeah. Very strange looking card, wholly different from any of the other V3s. 125mhz clock speed, 16MB SGRAM (which on mine are 6ns parts). With a decent heatsink on it, it'll actually do 166mhz without any problem.

Some of them only had 8mb memory... I think the STB velocity 200 was a 16mb V3 1000 and the Velocity 100 was only 8mb (along with most OEM V3 1000's).

Reply 36 of 61, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I think the Compaq version was the only 16MB V3 1000... though, there didn't seem to be a defined spec for that model, so I'm not clear on all the different versions.

The Velocity cards were something even different still... sort of. The hardware was the same as a V3 1000, but they had one of the texture units disabled in the drivers.

Reply 37 of 61, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Yeah, I think the Compaq version was the only 16MB V3 1000... though, there didn't seem to be a defined spec for that model, so I'm not clear on all the different versions.

The Velocity cards were something even different still... sort of. The hardware was the same as a V3 1000, but they had one of the texture units disabled in the drivers.

Can enable them very easilly in the registry though ;D
Afaik they only had 8 meg of ram instead of the usual 16 meg