VOGONS

First post, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got a system up and running, just wondering if there was anything you'd change in this setup:

Pentium 3 667MHz
Asus P3V 4X mobo
320MB PC133 SDRAM
30GB UDMA2 HDD
ATi Rage 128 Ultra 16MB AGP
Voodoo 2 PCI
Sound Blaster 16
PCI Realtek NIC
Windows 98 SE

I can get a Voodoo3 3000 fairly cheaply, would I see a big difference over what I've got now in Glide titles like Deus Ex?

Is there any other glaring problem with the above setup?

Reply 1 of 10, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:

I can get a Voodoo3 3000 fairly cheaply, would I see a big difference over what I've got now in Glide titles like Deus Ex?

See the benchmark. Voodoo3 is quite faster than Voodoo2 SLI, and it also has 1600x1200 resolution --which Voodoo2 cannot reach. However, you may want to keep your Voodoo2 though, since there are GLide games incompatible with Voodoo3 and above. You can switch between V2 and V3 by putting a specific version glide2x.dll (or glide2x.ovl, in case of DOS games) in your game's folder.

SquallStrife wrote:

Is there any other glaring problem with the above setup?

I don't think so. How many ISA slots does the mobo have, by the way?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2 of 10, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks. The V3 I'm looking at on ebay would cost me around $20 delivered, so might be worth a look, knowing that glide DLL trick exists.

This particular mobo has a single ISA slot on it, occupied by my SB16.

P6050071.jpg

Thanks for the reply! 😀

Reply 4 of 10, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ux-3 wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:

Thanks. The V3 I'm looking at on ebay would cost me around $20 delivered

Hell, thats insane. Here I usually pay one euro plus postage.

Ebay USA is a larger market than ebay in other countries. Prices go higher here. That's why they sell 486 motherboards for $200 and up here.

Reply 5 of 10, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

Ebay USA is a larger market than ebay in other countries. Prices go higher here. That's why they sell 486 motherboards for $200 and up here.

People in the US literally get bent over and violated when it comes to prices on old PC hardware. I also find Swedish sellers can also be a bit optimistic with their prices.

Ebay is only good if you know what your looking for and know the items real value... I've seen all sorts of garbage being sold for stupidly high amounts to equally stupid people 😒

Reply 6 of 10, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here in the UK you can easily pick up a V3 3000 (and other old hardware) for 99p + postage (or even free if you know where to look 😀).

But of course there will always be some old desirable stuff that will sell for more no matter where in the world you are!

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

See the benchmark. Voodoo3 is quite faster than Voodoo2 SLI,

That benchmark is using a V3 3500... i'm sure they are clocked at 183mhz compared to 166mhz for a V3 3000. If a V3 3000 was used then the results would only be marginally better than a V2 SLI setup.

Reply 7 of 10, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cheers for the advice guys.

I'm in Australia, so I get reamed for postage no matter where I order from. I've seen V3s for less than a fiver, but the postage will be like 15 aussie bucks.

There is one listed locally, $10 buyout, $9.95 postage. I'll end up paying that in postage if I ordered from overseas, but this one will arrive sooner. Rock and a hard place eh?

Powerpie, I only have a single Voodoo 2, so the V3 would be a step up for games that support it right?

Reply 10 of 10, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Alright, I've put a bid on this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI … em=180547791099

$5 plus $8 postage. Now to play the waiting game...

Cheers for the advice guys, I appreciate it.