VOGONS

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just wondered if anyone remembered the BFG PhysX processor and at what point is the CPU fast enough to do the calculations so you won't want to use one. I'm assuming a fast quad core of 3.0ghz or better probably won't need one.

Reply 1 of 5, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

nvidia gfx cards now do the work of the BFG PhysX processor
and a 3ghz quad isnt enough for 2 reasons

1. most games wont enable physx (full detail) unles a nv card is detected
2. the cpu code for physx is very poorly coded it only runs on 1 thread, doesnt use sse (x87 code instead) (not in nv's interest to have the cpu looking good)

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 5, by cskamacska

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Interesting fact: Ageia Physx cards still work(with a bit of driver tweaking as Nvidia discontinued support shortly after their aquisition of Ageia). Not with full detail mind you(that is reserved for the GT200/400 cards), but it will deliver the computational performance of roughly a 8600GT-9600GT.

the loyal slave learns to love the lash

Reply 3 of 5, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Davros wrote:
nvidia gfx cards now do the work of the BFG PhysX processor and a 3ghz quad isnt enough for 2 reasons […]
Show full quote

nvidia gfx cards now do the work of the BFG PhysX processor
and a 3ghz quad isnt enough for 2 reasons

1. most games wont enable physx (full detail) unles a nv card is detected
2. the cpu code for physx is very poorly coded it only runs on 1 thread, doesnt use sse (x87 code instead) (not in nv's interest to have the cpu looking good)

There are workarounds for making the PhysX card work with ATi. Also, some people throw an older PhysX capable card like an 8800 or 9800 into a second slot to get PhysX working.

Reply 4 of 5, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I haven't found Physx "effects" to be worth getting all caught up on honestly. Most of the time it is really gimmicky. NVIDIA keeps pushing it relentlessly but I think that a lot of gamers really don't care.

It doesn't help that Physx tends to completely implode performance even with hardware processing.

NVIDIA is slowly being pushed into a hopeless corner in the industry and they are clawing at new ways to gain any advantage.

Reply 5 of 5, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

I haven't found Physx "effects" to be worth getting all caught up on honestly. Most of the time it is really gimmicky. NVIDIA keeps pushing it relentlessly but I think that a lot of gamers really don't care.

It doesn't help that Physx tends to completely implode performance even with hardware processing.

NVIDIA is slowly being pushed into a hopeless corner in the industry and they are clawing at new ways to gain any advantage.

And they just lost a big partner when BFG Tech went belly up.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/video/bfg … nding-business/

BFG Tech used to sell in all the Best Buy stores.