VOGONS

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So what speed CPU would I have to team with the Voodoo 2 SLI combo to get the best framerates at the highest resolution? I know these are CPU bound to some extent but how fast does the CPU have to be to pass data to the Voodoos quickly enough to overcome the bottleneck?

Reply 1 of 4, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At high resolutions the video cards typically becomes the bottleneck. Voodoo2 SLI's "high resolution" is only 1024x768 though. But that is still a lot to ask of a 180 MPix/sec setup. It's somewhat slower than a Voodoo3 2000 (which can do 1600x1200 if you want).

It really depends on the game. UT99 for example is rather CPU intensive while Quake 1 will rocket by. I'd want at least a P3 1GHz. That will make UT99 buttery smooth.

Reply 4 of 4, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a Voodoo2 SLI setup in my 1.3GHz T-Bird back in the day, it was just as fast as my GeForce2 MX in glQuake.
IIRC Something like 400+ FPS, I'm guessing they are powerful enough depending on the application to be limited only by PCI bus bandwidth.

You would definitely need heatsinks/cooling for that though, I wouldn't risk it nowadays.