VOGONS

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey guys!

I just recently discovered this forum and I love it to bits...

I started reading at the very first post and read my way through all the pages. It brought back sooo many memories!

I grew up in Austraia and my first computer was a Vobis Highscreen 386. One of you here posted a Vobis machine in this thread. It looked exactly like the one I had. With both floppy drives and the LED MHz indicator.

Mine was a 386 33MHz and I remember that the Turbo didn't work so we brought it back and it turned out that it was running in the non Turbo all the time (and I never noticed).

The video card also died one day and they ended up butting a slower card in it 🙁

My next PC was based on a Cyrix 486 40 and it wasn't the best buy. I was led to believe that it would outperform a intel 486 DX 33 but it didn't...

The next PC I got was my first build from scratch. I remember that it was a VESA local bus mainboard and I had a AMD 486-DX4 100 CPU. The BIOS was interesting as it looked like windows and you could control it with the mouse! Very fancy.

I remember that I put switches at the front of the case and soldered the wires to the mainboard to control the multipliers. So from the front of the case I could controle the FSB settting and the multiplier. I believe I could run it as a DX2 50 up to a DX4 120 😁

Next build was a Pentium 133 on a Gigabyte board. I loved this machine, had a 3DFX Voodoo and later upgraded to a Voodoo 2. But it wasn't any faster and I found out that this was because the cpu was to slow. You needed a PII.

So my final PC was a Pentium II 300 MHz. I got it when the Pentium II just came out and it was sooo fast.

Unfortunatly all these bits and peaces are gone. I moved around a lot, some time in the UK now I am in Australia. But the memories all remain.

I had the original Soundblaster and a Soundblaster 16 and also a Roland Sound Canvas daugther board.

This forum brought so many memories back that I am now also planning on building something. I am very much into DosBox, but would love to build something hands on. It will very likely be based around a 440BX chipset, simply because I don't want to play around with old AT PSUs and towers and like to mix it up with some modern and easily available bits.

I would also like to thank retro games 100 for his many questions. His questions kept the thread active and I got a ton of good information...

Looking back it was amazing how little I knew when I was a kid. I didn't have internet, so the only source of knowledge where computer magazines (which often where behind) and friends in school. Things such as the "hanging note bug" and the fact that SB16 wasn't compatible with SB Pro or that most AWE cards didn't have a real OPL chip are things I only found out recently...

It's so cool that now we can afford to buy all the stuff we wish we had as a kid. Most of it is also very cheap and, well basically it's just a really cool hobby to have and I am happy I am clearly not alone in sharing this passion...

My favourite games where mostly adventure games (Sierra and Lucasarts) but also Doom, Wing Commander and Privateer. I never had a Roland MT-32 but was tricked once in buying a card that was meant to be compatible (A Spea Media FX) and of course it wasn't...

So my project will be mostly based around running games of that era.

I have ordered lots of bits through ebay (here in australia most cheap stuff comes from asia). Especially little things such as IDE adapters or midi calbes are very cheap coming from asia. I also got a few Slot 1 and S370 boards coming along with many cpus, ram chips and other bits.

Anyway hello to all and talk to you soon!

Reply 1 of 10, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

... I have ordered lots of bits through ebay ...

Welcome to Vogons. 😀 You'll have lots of fun with all that retro stuff you've bought from ebay. Good luck with it.

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

It's so cool that now we can afford to buy all the stuff we wish we had as a kid.

I couldn't agree more. What CPU are you planning on putting in an i440BX chipset mobo?

Reply 2 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On most I am not sure what I will get because it's a box of many cpus, 2 mainboards, some sticks of ram, video cards, sound cards...

But one is a Celeron 300 (without L2 cache) and another one is a Pentium III 550 MHz.

Reply 4 of 10, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Welcome to the forums! 😉

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I grew up in Australia and my first computer was a Vobis Highscreen 386.

You had Vobis Highscreen in Australia? 🤣

Reply 5 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
5u3 wrote:

Welcome to the forums! 😉

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Sorry! Silly typo... I meant Austria of course! I left Austria pretty much after doing my military service...

It looked similar to one of these: http://www.majortom.de/hw/386sx/3_highscreen_386sx_0.jpg

But I am pretty sure it was a 386 DX 33. I later looked at the CPU and found out that it was a AMD 386 DX 40 under the hood 😁 It also came with Dos and some version of Windows. 3.1 likely and it had that removable hard drive bay with a key to lock it...

A friend of mine bought the same machine at the same time (but he got a tower, I got the desktop version) and we played adventure games all summer. Especially Monkey Island 2 and Fate of Atlantis. I also got my first Soundblaster and WOW I was blown away...

I am sure it was summer of 1992. So I love a lot of games from that era.

I also played Space Quest 1 and Kings Quest 1 earlier on school computers but at that time they where way to hard for me. I finished them much later and got a lot more out of them. I believe these games where really made for adults...

Reply 6 of 10, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
5u3 wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Sorry! Silly typo... I meant Austria of course! I left Austria pretty much after doing my military service...

Your location says Perth - did you move from Australia to Austria, then back again?
Edit: Your avatar - is that a photo of you emerging from "down under"? 😉

Reply 7 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
5u3 wrote:

Your location says Perth - did you move from Australia to Austria, then back again?

I reckon it's to fit his username. Maulwurf means mole in German 😉

Reply 8 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

I was born in Austria, went there to school, finished military service and then left the country. I was living in the UK, a short while in NY, Germany and now for the last 8 or so years in Australia!

Yes the avatar is a cute little mole 😁

Reply 9 of 10, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

A friend of mine bought the same machine at the same time (but he got a tower, I got the desktop version) and we played adventure games all summer. Especially Monkey Island 2 and Fate of Atlantis. I also got my first Soundblaster and WOW I was blown away...

I am sure it was summer of 1992. So I love a lot of games from that era.

I also played Space Quest 1 and Kings Quest 1 earlier on school computers but at that time they where way to hard for me. I finished them much later and got a lot more out of them. I believe these games where really made for adults...

*sniff* *sniff* ....reminds me of those golden years!....*sniff*

Ah yes! Those were the days! And now, I'm glad we can bring back those days alive again! All those components we used to only dream of having...

I didn't know what were the components in my XT those days, and the only thing I knew about my 286 later on, was that I had a Sound Blaster card, a "VGA" card and a 20MB hard drive.

But I knew those games were a blast to play!

I and my best friend used to discuss about Secret of Monkey Island -how to get through this, how to avoid that, how to get to monkey island, what else do i have to put into that pot?,etc.etc...😁

After school hours, we used to "discuss" the latest "findings" or "progress" in Death Knights of Krynn, and Martian Dreams, which we both completed on our own. We didn't have access to clue books or FAQs those days.

We occasionally read the C+VG or the QuestBusters hint magazine but usually the magazines contain hints for what we were NOT playing at that time.

My buddy drew the desert map in King's Quest V, while I "found out" a well in the same desert area.

I first saw King's Quest I in a Hercules monochrome (I think) computer - everything was just green.

During weekends, we got together either in his or my house to further join heads to complete an adventure, or trash each other in a hot-seat Rampage. Sometimes, we go out to the arcade and spend our precious savings' coins on the coin-ops.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers