VOGONS

Reply 20 of 48, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BigBodZod wrote:

Does anybody know why Intel could not release any of their CPU's clocked at 666 😜

I noted you got a P3/667 there, nice 😁

Because the FSB isn't actually 66mhz. It's 66.666... and so on. a 10x multiplier makes it 667.

Reply 21 of 48, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Depends what you mean by 'work.' It's highly unlikely that those boards support booting from USB, so you're not going to be able to install an OS by that method, but once the OS and appropriate USB drivers have been loaded, you should be able to use 'em.

Thanks! Yes I was hoping to boot from them! Oh well I will just have to source a floppy and optical drive...

You can also use IDE CF card readers, i'm sure some here can help with that, or maybe search old threads first...

Reply 22 of 48, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
BigBodZod wrote:

Does anybody know why Intel could not release any of their CPU's clocked at 666 😜

I noted you got a P3/667 there, nice 😁

Because the FSB isn't actually 66mhz. It's 66.666... and so on. a 10x multiplier makes it 667.

Yeah, I know, just making it a joke like they *really* didn't want something clocked at 666 😉

You can tell that any new CPU now has some clock differences, even if they are from the same production batch/lot, just run CPU-z and note the clock speed being a little more or less then the stated speed on the CPU...

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 23 of 48, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can also use IDE CF card readers, i'm sure some here can help with that, or maybe search old threads first...

Yes I picked op on that when I read the whole Marvin thread (It went back only to 2008...).

In Australia all these little gadgets are cheapest from ebay. The items come from asia and only like a dollar or two...

Planning on use a 2 GB CF card as the main hard drive. But I still need a device to boot from, but not to worry! CD drives and floppy drives are plenty around!

Reply 24 of 48, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BigBodZod wrote:

You can tell that any new CPU now has some clock differences, even if they are from the same production batch/lot, just run CPU-z and note the clock speed being a little more or less then the stated speed on the CPU...

I thought that had to do with the motherboard the cpu was installed in. I've build several P3-1000's during the years and noticed how some were slightly below 1000. I don't think it's the CPU doing that.

Reply 25 of 48, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Thanks for the info!

I might have bought way to much stuff. I got a lot more to come. Who said only girls like to shop 😁

Wait till you see what some others on the forum have accumulated over the years! Have you also read this thread?
post up pics of your "computing area"

Heres a link to the same thread with how my attic looked like a couple months ago. They are not sharp but eh...you'll get the picture 😁
post up pics of your "computing area"

Reply 27 of 48, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Awesome stuff!

The place I am currently in is tiny, So I will have to make the most out of it. That's the downside of moving a lot. You tend not to collect to much stuff...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 28 of 48, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought that had to do with the motherboard the cpu was installed in. I've build several P3-1000's during the years and noticed how some were slightly below 1000. I don't think it's the CPU doing that.

Yeah, it's the motherboard... CPUs have no built-in clockspeed control, it's all done externally. There are slight clock differences between different motherboards, probably comes down to component tolerances and such. It's actually pretty rare to find one that will do exactly 66.6666 or 100.0000mhz FSB, usually it's more like 66.1, or 99.8, or whatever.

Reply 29 of 48, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some manufacturers had the habit of having the FSB raised by 1 or 2 MHz just so they would be in front when benchmarked in reviews 😁

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 30 of 48, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Sorry not following?

Uh, I think cdoublejj is offering to give away his cpu casing with the AT power supply, for the price of shipping. Unless, if I'm wrong...🤣

naaa it's a box with some P2s and P3s and some slots As and probably a bunch of sd ram and some older gfx cards i think one is a 3dfx card.

Reply 32 of 48, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Some manufacturers had the habit of having the FSB raised by 1 or 2 MHz just so they would be in front when benchmarked in reviews 😁

Heh, and now that I think of it, I remember some older ASUS boards having voltages a bit higher then normal (including DIMM voltage), probably to improve stability 😁
And the same goes for OEM motherboards, I've noticed all the ones I tested slightly underclock their CPU's, probably to make them more stable as well! 😜
Less instability = less calls from customers who have problems with their computers and nagging their tech support 🤣!

Reply 33 of 48, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Awesome stuff!

The place I am currently in is tiny, So I will have to make the most out of it. That's the downside of moving a lot. You tend not to collect to much stuff...

Years ago when I was still living with my mother I had a room 2x3 meters. You wouldn't believe how much crap one can cram into such a tiny spot! 😁
Now that I think of it, I already had around 10 or 12 computer cases (almost all of them AT style) and only 1 working rig most of the time 😁

Ah..the memories.
Once I was working on my comp and had one of those tall glasses of wine on top of my ol' 15in CRT monitor while my computer was running...(see it coming? 😜 ).
Then I accidentally bumped the glass and all of it spilled into the CRT through those openings and the screen went all dancy!!!
I pulled the plug immediately!
So then I started asking around for a cheap replacement and got a 14.5in CRT for €10 (strange size btw, probably in between those very round 14in and the flatter 15in in price at the time those sizes were ''hot'').

Then about 2 years later I decided to test that monitor. I opened it up, cleaned all the red stuff from it, closed it and put in the garden with an extension cord.
I fired her up and she was still working! 😁

Reply 34 of 48, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
.......Ah..the memories. Once I was working on my comp and had one of those tall glasses of wine on top of my ol' 15in CRT monit […]
Show full quote

.......Ah..the memories.
Once I was working on my comp and had one of those tall glasses of wine on top of my ol' 15in CRT monitor while my computer was running...(see it coming? 😜 ).............

...........Then I accidentally bumped the glass and all of it spilled into the CRT through those openings and the screen went all dancy!!!
I pulled the plug immediately!..............

............Then about 2 years later I decided to test that monitor. I opened it up, cleaned all the red stuff from it, closed it and put in the garden with an extension cord.

Sooooo, that's how we started using alcohol to clean up the electrical components, eh?! 🤣

Yeah, it's true..Discoveries are made by accidents...🤣

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 35 of 48, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great stories 😁

EDIT: Will pickup up some floppy drives and also a IDE drive (Brand new DVD burner).

There shouldn't be any issues with using a modern DVD drive?

Also what DOS benchmarks do you guys use in this forum? I have seen a lot of screen shots of a particular program, but can't remember the name of it...

I like to use Norton SI 8.0 but I would like to use that other tool as well (the one that has been used here a lot...)

So tomorrow I should be able to upgrade the BIOS and do some initial benchmarking and playing around with cache settings and so on...

There is also a DOS utility to enable / disable cache from the command line. What is it called and where can I download this and that benchmark utility?

Thanks!

Reply 36 of 48, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
.......Ah..the memories. Once I was working on my comp and had one of those tall glasses of wine on top of my ol' 15in CRT monit […]
Show full quote

.......Ah..the memories.
Once I was working on my comp and had one of those tall glasses of wine on top of my ol' 15in CRT monitor while my computer was running...(see it coming? 😜 ).............

...........Then I accidentally bumped the glass and all of it spilled into the CRT through those openings and the screen went all dancy!!!
I pulled the plug immediately!..............

............Then about 2 years later I decided to test that monitor. I opened it up, cleaned all the red stuff from it, closed it and put in the garden with an extension cord.

Sooooo, that's how we started using alcohol to clean up the electrical components, eh?! 🤣

Yeah, it's true..Discoveries are made by accidents...🤣

Yup! That was my version of the apple 😁
People will be talking about it for generations to come, I'll be teh famous!!!11 😁

Reply 37 of 48, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok I found a few of the utilities. ice.exe and icd.exe

But what is that DOS level benchmarking tool called that I have seen in this forum all the time?

Will get a floppy and DVD drive tomorrow, so I am playing with my netbook currently...

It gets over 900 points in Norton SI 8.0 but now I want to try without caches...

EDIT: icd.exe locked up the netbook but icache.exe worked!

I got a Norton SI 8.0 score of 24.4 which is a perfect emulation of a 386DX 25 MHz machine 😁

Unfortunately because it's a netbook no ISA, so only PC speaker...

I didn't want to format the main HDD so I couldn't try any games...

But yea now we know. A Intel Atom 1.6 GHz netbook with Cache disabled gives you a 386DX 25 MHz machine... Which means we could turn nettops into beautiful 386 machines!

This should be close to ideal speed for Wing Commander!

Reply 38 of 48, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ICD may not work in some systems with a bus speed of more than 66MHz.

After using ICD, starting up SPEEDSYS will hang the computer in my PIII 1 GHZ system, after decreasing the bus to 66MHz - at 500MHz.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 39 of 48, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Speedsys! That's what it's called 😁

SYSTEM SPEED TEST Version 4.70 is that the same version you guys are using?

Ok so today I got 2 black floppy drives and a IDE DVD drive. Came home, put it all together, just to realise that all the ribbon cables I had collected over the last few years are only IDE. I don't have a single floppy cable!

Ahhh the pain 😁 Crushed by a (lack of) floppy cable...

Will order one with some other bits I need (brand new S370 coolers for example)...

The CF adapter and CF card also hasn't arrived yet, so there isn't a whole lot I can do this weekend 😁

Hopefully some interesting threads will pop up and keep me company...