AGP Pro

Topic actions

First post, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

107693101_1.jpg

First time I see an AGP with this connector.

From what I've read the only difference between AGP Pro and standard AGP cards is that the AGP Pro slot can supply cards with more voltage/ampere?

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 1 of 48, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Correct, of course the mobo has to have the AGP Pro slot too, you remove the plastic guide so you can use the full slot.

Many of the Asus mobo's had this, even on AMD models.

From what I understand, AGP Pro is mainly for Workstation Graphics type cards.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 2 of 48, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea my Asus uATX board with i815 chipset has an AGP Pro slot. There is a sticker over the very first section of the slot which you need to remove if you insert a AGP Pro card.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 48, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Something tells me this is a Mac card judging by the short extra connector between the AGP connector and the card bracket

Reply 4 of 48, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Amigaz wrote:

Something tells me this is a Mac card judging by the short extra connector between the AGP connector and the card bracket

Could be. That connector is new to me. Googling the model number/fcc will usually reveal a lot of info. Could you perhaps post the 'printed stuff' on the PCB for us?

Reply 5 of 48, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, that's definitely a Mac card, specifically an X800XT Mac Edition. That extra connector is power for the ADC (the top port, that looks almost like DVI).

On the upside, though, if that's your card, you can sell it for a ridiculous amount of money.

Reply 7 of 48, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's a Mac card. The Powermac G5 used an AGP Pro slot before they changed to PCIe. The majority of the AGP Pro I have ever seen for the PC were all ATi Fire GL and Nvidia Quadro cards.

Reply 8 of 48, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just won the auction the card was in for 200sek which is roughly €20
But have no clue if it works yet, can't test it in my Mac either since it's PCI-E only...maybe it's time to get a Powermac dual G5 beast again with AGP! 😁

Reply 9 of 48, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaz wrote:

But have no clue if it works yet, can't test it in my Mac either since it's PCI-E only...maybe it's time to get a Powermac dual G5 beast again with AGP! 😁

20€ ... can't test ... Postings like this one make me realize what a bunch of lunatics hang out here 😉

Reply 10 of 48, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ux-3 wrote:
Amigaz wrote:

20€ ... can't test ... Postings like this one make me realize what a bunch of lunatics hang out here 😉

what lunatics? 20€ is like a cup of coffee 😜 🤑

Reply 11 of 48, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:

The majority of the AGP Pro I have ever seen for the PC were all ATi Fire GL and Nvidia Quadro cards.

You lucky one, i seen AGP Pro only on old workstation cards. Anything more new is very hard to get....

http://82.114.193.227/vga2/index.php?option=c … t_search=Search

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 12 of 48, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All AGP Pro is is another way to give the card more power. It became pretty redundant as soon as they started adding aux power connectors to the cards themselves.

It's crazy how much Mac people will pay for a 6 year old graphics card. 😁

Reply 13 of 48, by cskamacska

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Asus V6600 MX used an AGP Pro conector
0323asus66001.jpg

It was unnessecary of course, but AGP Pro was an overhyped marketing gimmick at the time, similar to AGP 8x 2 years later. Many motherboards from 2000-2002 had an AGP Pro connector for the same reason. Also all AMD dual Athlon MP motherboards were equipped with AGP Pro slots, yet competing Intel Pentium 4 and Xeon based workstation boards rarely had them.(afaik)[/img]

the loyal slave learns to love the lash

Reply 14 of 48, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

All AGP Pro is is another way to give the card more power. It became pretty redundant as soon as they started adding aux power connectors to the cards themselves.

It's crazy how much Mac people will pay for a 6 year old graphics card. 😁

This card can do wonders in a Mac since it doesn't run a bloated OS that needs one zillion ghz etc to run stuff 😉 but it's nothing for the gamer that's why I own a ton of PC's too 😎

Reply 15 of 48, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ux-3 wrote:
Amigaz wrote:

Yep, it was the rumours about these lunatics that made me sign up here! 😁

Reply 16 of 48, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Amigaz wrote:

This card can do wonders in a Mac since it doesn't run a bloated OS that needs one zillion ghz etc to run stuff 😉 but it's nothing for the gamer that's why I own a ton of PC's too 😎

Well, considering that the state-of-the-art in Mac gaming is kinda like Half Life 2 and Portal, that X800 may seem pretty nice. 😁 😁 😁

Reply 17 of 48, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:
Amigaz wrote:

Well, considering that the state-of-the-art in Mac gaming is kinda like Half Life 2 and Portal, that X800 may seem pretty nice. 😁 😁 😁

Yeah, and they cost 50 bucks in retail stores 😜

But the reason to buy a mac isn't to do gaming...it's the awesome sound and video editing apps

Got a Radeon 4890 in my 2x quad xeon Mac though so I can do some "modern" gaming when I feel like booting into Win7
It was the machine I finished Crysis on.

Reply 18 of 48, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Amigaz wrote:

But the reason to buy a mac isn't to do gaming...it's the awesome sound and video editing apps

Got a Radeon 4890 in my 2x quad xeon Mac though so I can do some "modern" gaming when I feel like booting into Win7

I have nothing against Macs. They do have some cool software, but it isn't really applicable to me. However, some of the the Mac fanatics/home-evangelists/xtreme zealots do bother me and give the platform a bad rap IMO. 😁

Actually I found Macs much more interesting when they had their own unique hardware going. Having something to play with besides Wintel is nice. But clearly IBM and Motorola didn't care to play ball against Intel and AMD anymore. I imagine that Apple's sales volume isn't a good enough reason to try to compete in the realm of cheap consumer CPUs.

The bootcamp thing was a very smart way to take advantage of their machines being PCs now and allowing full access to the MS world.

Reply 19 of 48, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:
I have nothing against Macs. They do have some cool software, but it isn't really applicable to me. However, some of the the Mac […]
Show full quote
Amigaz wrote:

I have nothing against Macs. They do have some cool software, but it isn't really applicable to me. However, some of the the Mac fanatics/home-evangelists/xtreme zealots do bother me and give the platform a bad rap IMO. 😁

Actually I found Macs much more interesting when they had their own unique hardware going. Having something to play with besides Wintel is nice. But clearly IBM and Motorola didn't care to play ball against Intel and AMD anymore. I imagine that Apple's sales volume isn't a good enough reason to try to compete in the realm of cheap consumer CPUs.

The bootcamp thing was a very smart way to take advantage of their machines being PCs now and allowing full access to the MS world.

Agree, and posh, arrogant people owning Mac's because they think they are even cooler when owning one doesn't help give the brand a better rep.

As a Mac owner the hardware is more interesting now when the hardware isn't 100% proprietary....but the PowerPC stuff was quite interesting