VOGONS

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some of you already know that I had issues booting from my CF card (I am using a CF > IDE adapter).

Everything was set up in order. The device showed up in BIOS. I could fdisk, format, sys, copy anything I wanted.

But it just wouldn't boot from the CF no matter what I tried...

I assumed it was just a cheap card or adapter but then I found a tip on the internet (Source at the bottom).

He recommended using Puppy Linux. So I did that, booted the CD, created a ext2 partition and installed Puppy Linux onto the CF card. And bam it booted!

So I rebooted into my FreDOS CD, fdisked the drive, created a new FAT32 partition, rebooted and formatted the partition with the /s command.

Rebooted and bam! It booted!

So I then installed FreeDos (I chose the min. install) and all is good!

It boots, CD is working and I have mouse support. FreeDos gibtes you a start meny where you can choose the memory options (xms, ems and so on)...

Source: http://www.computing.net/answers/dos/dos-on-s … ters/16816.html

Reply 3 of 6, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:

Congrats! 😀

Hey you are back! Any new parts?

Loads! 😀 But I'm too busy this year to test them. 🙁 However, January 1st = mega test start date. 😀

BTW, I was impressed to hear about your Soundblaster + 2 special chips = Gameblaster. That's very good. I don't own any form of Gameblaster. That's a pity. Do you know what type of hardware is the most easily obtainable, to get a Gameblaster? Would it be a SB 1.5 + 2 special chips? Also, are there many PC games that use the Gameblaster sound format? Perhaps I will be OK with my current sound choices: SB Pro (CT1600) / CM-32L / General Midi devices. I'm hoping that will cover most options, because the Gameblaster (including special variants) might be too rare now.

Edit: Oops I'm sorry for straying away from your O.P topic. 😦

Reply 4 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Soundblaster 1.5 (CT1320C) + CMS chips is the easiest option...

The chips are on ebay USA. But they are listed under a different name. Wait I dig it up...

Auction page: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI … e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

You need 2 of these chips!

The soundblaster 2.0 has 3 sockets and the third chip is very hard to find... The Gameblaster chips are from Philips so they are easy to get, but the third chip is something Creative made and I guess they never made a lot of them 😁

If you find a real Gameblaster however that would also sweet. But with the SB 1.5 you get 2 cards in one which is pretty cool...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ah, thanks for the eBay link... I will upgrade my SB1 with them.... (I also have a boxed-complete Gameblaster, costed me ~30eur some 1.5 years ago 😁 )

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool!

Gameblaster was more US right? Because it was sold through Radio Shack or something...

Yes the real bargains need time... They do exist, the other day I got a Midi man MM401 card for 3 euros, I couldn't believe it!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel