VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've installed a Radeon 9800 Pro card in Windows 98 SE. It seems to work. I run a couple of old D3D demos: "Jedi Knight" and "Mysteries of the Sith". You can see the jagged outlines of the buildings. I then go to the ATI control panel, and switch on anti-aliasing. I rerun these 2 games. You can then see that the jagged lines are more smooth. So that works. But when I run Quake 3 demo and Deus Ex demo, this effect does not work. Both games show jagged lines, if the AA is switched on or off. Any ideas please people?

Edit: I seem to remember that my Voodoo5 card worked correctly in "FSAA mode", for both the Deus Ex and Quake 3 demo games.

Reply 2 of 5, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At the moment, I'm using ATI Catalyst driver version 6.2 for Window 98 SE. I think it's the last version that runs OK on Win9x. Inside the ATI control panel, I cannot see an option which says "Disable Catalyst AI". Inside the ATI control panel, I see these options -

3D settings -> Click on "Compatibility button" ->
Support DXT texture formats (Currently Enabled)
Alternate pixel center (Currently Disabled)

OpenGL Compatibility settings ->
Force Z-buffer depth = Disabled
Triple Buffering = Disabled

Options ->
Re-activate all warning messages (checkbox ticked)
Enabled ATI taskbar icon application (checkbox ticked)
Show ATI icon on taskbar (checkbox ticked)
Disable quick resolution feature (checkbox not ticked)
Also, 2 options about DVI...

Any ideas please? Thanks.

Reply 3 of 5, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure if this applies to these older cards, but with AA support Nvidia was always ahead.

And didn't the Voodoo cards have Supersampling AA?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 5, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried 2 more games - the retail versions of Unreal and Unreal Tournament. Both of these games do not show any visual improvement when I activate AA. I double-checked that Jedi Knight was working with AA, and it was. Perhaps the Radeon 9800's ability to successfully do AA in Windows 98 is limited. Maybe I need to use a more modern version of the Catalyst driver, and therefore use Windows XP? I'm a bit disappointed, because I wanted to get a few more games working with AA in Win98.