VOGONS

First post, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am running DOS 7.11. When I first put this system together I had one of the settings in the BIOS incorrect which was causing disk errors and lock ups. I corrected that setting and the system has been working great every since. But I have a bunch of File000*.chk files in the root of C. How do I get rid of these? It seems to let me type Del and then the file name and it has let me get rid of a few but eventually it won't delete any more and tells me that the file allocation table is bad. So I run chkdsk c: /f which fixes it. Then if I try to carry on and delete some more of the files the same things happens.

Does it sound like I have a hardware (maybe HD) problem? How do I get rid of the files?

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
16MB 72-pin SIMM RAM (2x8MB)
1MB Diamond Speedstar Pro VLB video card
SB 16 Value CT2770
AOpen VI15G Socket 3 Motherboard
HDD/FDD VLB controller card

Reply 1 of 3, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

sounds to me like either a bad hard drive or the hard drive needs total wipe (fdisk+format). Also try to check your memory modules with memtest or so. I had bad memory wreak havoc with my system in a similar fasion as a bad hard drive before...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 3, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

Try running the surface scan.

I just did that and when it got to the directory structure bit it found errors in the file0000.chk files so I told it to fix it. Then it started doing the surface scan and didn't find anything. The message at the end was "38 directory entries FAT chains were truncated". I then used File Manager (comes with Dostart) and selected the multiple File0000.chk files and deleted them. So I think everything is ok and I was able to get rid of the .chk files.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
16MB 72-pin SIMM RAM (2x8MB)
1MB Diamond Speedstar Pro VLB video card
SB 16 Value CT2770
AOpen VI15G Socket 3 Motherboard
HDD/FDD VLB controller card