VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bushwack wrote:
Short test but everything points to the drive being fine, just somehow incompatible with the Win98 install routine. Might also h […]
Show full quote
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

The quick test or the long one?

Well if the drive checks out what are you going to do?

Short test but everything points to the drive being fine, just somehow incompatible with the Win98 install routine. Might also have something to do with the motherboard controller too in conjunction with drive.

If anything, I'll install with the 6gb, make a image of my partition then put it on the 80gb. Wow such a hassle, never had such a pain in my arse before.

Ultimately I thought I would just throw a bunch of my spare parts together and make a kick ass win98 (and ho hum XP) machine. Now it's turned into a freaking nightmare. 🤣 I do have a IBM 30gb I know Win98 installs good on it, and use the 80gb with it.

hey congrats on your troubleshooting. Btw is your copy of windows 98 first edition or SE?

edit: shouldn't matter though their limit is 137GB (without 48-bit LBA support). However, someone put this on wikipedia:

Note 1: Both Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE can have significant problems associated with hard drives that are over 32 Gigabytes (GB) in size. This issue only occurs with certain Phoenix BIOS settings. A software update has been made available to fix this shortcoming

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_98#System_requirements

If that's the case, you might still be able to use that 80gig drive after updating the OS 😀

Reply 21 of 24, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I still remember someone mentioning a Linux application to "down format" large hard drive into smaller size, but I cannot exactly recall the application's name, let alone how to use it. Anyone?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 22 of 24, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
archsan wrote:
hey congrats on your troubleshooting. Btw is your copy of windows 98 first edition or SE? […]
Show full quote

hey congrats on your troubleshooting. Btw is your copy of windows 98 first edition or SE?

edit: shouldn't matter though their limit is 137GB (without 48-bit LBA support). However, someone put this on wikipedia:

Note 1: Both Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE can have significant problems associated with hard drives that are over 32 Gigabytes (GB) in size. This issue only occurs with certain Phoenix BIOS settings. A software update has been made available to fix this shortcoming

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_98#System_requirements

If that's the case, you might still be able to use that 80gig drive after updating the OS 😀

There is a 32gb clip setting on the harddrive...I did try to install with that setting but it said my second partition was corrupt (killed it half way thru i guess). I would have to partition and format the drive all over again to try with the 32gig clip in place before I could try to install Win98 again.

I have tried both first and SE editions.

Reply 23 of 24, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just a wild guess, but try the following checklist (wherever applicable):

Try:

1. Changing the back jumper to "Master" instead of Cable Select.

2. Disconnect any additional HDD, if you have.

3. Make sure the Master portion of the IDE cable is connected to it.

4. Also make sure you're installing W98 to the first partition of the hard drive (in case there are more than one.)

5. The HDD should be connected to the PRIMARY MASTER channel.

And regarding the windows not finding the folder while updating drivers, you can always copy the whole cd to a directory in your HDD, then in regedit, search for the "D:\WIN9x" or the corresponding path and edit all the instances to the folder you copied the cd to. (After a fresh install, usually you will find two places that you need to edit.) Driver installation will never ask for the cd later on.

Edit : My 160GB HDD has Win98SE installed in it.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 24 of 24, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:
Just a wild guess, but try the following checklist (wherever applicable): […]
Show full quote

Just a wild guess, but try the following checklist (wherever applicable):

Try:

1. Changing the back jumper to "Master" instead of Cable Select.

2. Disconnect any additional HDD, if you have.

3. Make sure the Master portion of the IDE cable is connected to it.

4. Also make sure you're installing W98 to the first partition of the hard drive (in case there are more than one.)

5. The HDD should be connected to the PRIMARY MASTER channel.

Hey, you stole my checklist!

I dual boot Win7 and WinXP on my main rig with Winxp on my last partition of 4. 😮