What a night!

Topic actions

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maaaaan what a night...

Was soo happy that I got my K6-2+ going on that Iwill board.

I did some benches and noticed that a few scores where a tiny bit lower than before.

So I put in the previous CPU (K6-2 350) and it also scored a bit lower. With L1 cache disabled it scored 37 instead of 40. Somewhere it lost 10% 🙁

So I though, well it must be the new BIOS. Glad I saved the old one.

Reflashed it, rebooted and the machine just made beeps on me and was dead...

Dead mobo 🙁

My first one...

*RIP*

Though I noticed that it would still boot from the floppy. So I looked up guides and found tips on putting a line into autoexec.bat and letting it flash itself. But that didn't work. The Floppy light got stuck at some point with no further action...

Got some food and had thought!

I checked the Iwill mainboard. Hmm big fat Award BIOS chip. I checked the Aopen board. Well it looks like the same chip? I wonder if I can use this somehow...

So I hooked up the Aopen board and fired it up. Then I ripped the BIOS chip out from both boards and but the dead one into the Aopen board. Having studied the AWDFLASH utility I am now familiar with all the flags, so I told the machine to fash the new Iwill BIOS (The one that got the K6-2+ working) onto that chip. And long and behold it flashed the chip and then did a reboot (I told it so through a /r flag).

Pulled the plug. Ripped the BIOS chip out and put it back into the Iwill...

Fingers crossed and O M G it's working 😀

Maaaaaaaan what a night. I spent hours on this 🤣 But I learnt a ton as well!

Now back to benching that K6-2+. It seems that once you disable Cache it all comes down to the FSB. The clock speed does bugger all...

Will also get a much faster Cyrix, because that Cyrix chip I have is the FASTEST chip when you disable all the caches. Big credit to Cyrix. They pulled off a good chip!

Reply 1 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gj on the hotflash! I'm lucky in that I haven't bricked a board while attempting to flash (mostly because I've flashed only a handfull boards in my life for fear of bricking one for no really good reason).

So whats your fastest Cyrix you have atm?

Reply 2 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

It's a 6x86L (Less voltage / Heat) PR200+

It's rated at 75x2 and I did manage to run it at 83x2 but not any higher.

I got my eyes on a PR300+ model which I am hoping will take a setting of 100x2 so I can see what the Cyrix chip can do with L1 cache enabled.

So far the 6x86 is the fastest chip around once you disable L1 cache. It beats the K6-2 by quite a marging although it's clocked so low.

Reply 3 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
It's a 6x86L (Less voltage / Heat) PR200+ […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

It's a 6x86L (Less voltage / Heat) PR200+

It's rated at 75x2 and I did manage to run it at 83x2 but not any higher.

I got my eyes on a PR300+ model which I am hoping will take a setting of 100x2 so I can see what the Cyrix chip can do with L1 cache enabled.

So far the 6x86 is the fastest chip around once you disable L1 cache. It beats the K6-2 by quite a marging although it's clocked so low.

The PR300 runs at 233 or 225Mhz though!
If you want a Cyrix M2 running at 300Mhz, you should look for a PR400 or so (2.2V part) and hope it will overclock.
Example on cpu-world.com:
S_Cyrix-MII-400GP%20%2895%20MHz%202.2V%29.jpg

I got a couple 333's rated at 250Mhz I think. Most important is they be 2.2V parts (not 2.9V, those will run HOTTT).
I got a couple at cpu-world.com forum. Haven't tested any of them yet though!

Reply 4 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry I wasn't clear enough...

For my needs (slowing down fast machines through disabling L1 and L2 caches) the main thing that matters is the FSB. As long as I can run the chip at 100FSB (no matter what the multi is) it will perform similar. E.g. with caches disabled a 100x2 chip will perform almost the same as a 100x5 chip!

EDIT: I am assuming that the Cyrix have a unlocked multi? Just like Pentium and K6-2?

Reply 5 of 7, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you are trying to downgrade the system speed for gaming, I've noticed a better stability when the bus speed is set to 66MHz, while playing old games. (No lockups/crashes etc.)

Also, try using Universal Flasher for hotflashing.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 7 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The system requirements for this game state only a 386SX so this game should play fine with a lower setting (as you can see on my table) here. The Cyrix @ 75MHz FSB performs like a 486DX2, very likely way to fast for this old game...

The 100MHz FSB setting with Cyrix ist mostly because I am interested in what equivalent cpu it will give me and also to complete my data set. I am hoping it would take me to a 486DX4-75 which is handy for some of the more demanding DOS games.

All the games I wanted to be able to get going, run perfectly so from that point of view my project is completed. Now it's about getting more data, reducing the tables a bit (FSB scaling is much more useful compared to the last table I used) and publishing the results.

Intel Pentium CPU will also follow soon!

Yes I heard of uniflash, however I had the correct version of awardflash because it came with the mainboard CD so it all worked out!

I will need to get a joystick though, that's a good idea. I was thinking of a MS sidewinder because of the optical tracking and there also plenty of ebay.

fsbscaling.png