VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Introduction
I'm testing an Asus P2B motherboard, PCB revision 1.12. I believe it's the final PCB revision that was made. It has onboard voltage circuitry to accept fast slot 1 Coppermine Pentium 3 CPUs. I've run some tests already on this mobo. Test 1 used a Powerleap adapter, and Test 2 used an nVidia Geforce3 card.

For this test, I'm going to see if I can overclock the mobo to 150 FSB, and get a PCI sound card to work in it correctly at that bus speed. If the FSB is overclocked to 150 FSB, that means the PCI bus is overclocked to 37.5 FSB. This effect can sometimes be undesirable, and means that the FSB must not be overclocked in this manner to ensure that the PCI card(s) function correctly. Ideally, the PCI bus needs to work at 33 MHz.

The mobo
asusP2B112.JPG
BTW, I need a new camera. Regarding the jumpers: the VIO and VCORE jumpers are set to their "normal" settings. I am guessing that if you want to significantly overclock a CPU, you set the VCORE to its other "power" setting. Also, I'm not sure why you would want to alter the VIO jumper setting. Why do you need more voltage for IO? Is it for extra HDD power, or extra AGP power? Unfortunately, neither of these jumpers are mentioned in the manual available on the Asus website, because that manual is for mobo PCB revision 1.02, and the mobo I am testing is PCB revision 1.12.

At the bottom of the photo, the PCIRATIO jumpers are "soldered out". That means that these jumpers are unavailable. You can't adjust them. For the AGPFS jumper setting, I got this information from the Asus website: "This option sets the frequency ratio between the AGP bus frequency and the CPU bus frequency. When the CPU bus runs at 100MHz, it is recommended to set this jumper at 1-2 to get an AGP bus speed of 66MHz; When the CPU bus runs at 66MHz, please set this jumper at 2-3 to get 66Mhz of AGP bus frequency. This option allows users to select the best setting for their AGP cards to enhance the performance as some AGP cards may be capable of running stable at 100MHz. 1-2 : AGPCLK = CPUCLK * 2/3, 2-3 : AGPCLK = CPUCLK"

Finally, there is no clear CMOS jumper on this 1.12 mobo. On older PCB revisions, there was a clear CMOS jumper.

Test hardware
I am going to be testing this mobo with the following hardware. The sound card for the overclocked PCI bus test is in row 3.
testingHardware.jpg

Test information and results
I used the Santa Cruz VxD driver and Windows 98 SE. The following tests were run, and they all passed with the sound sounding OK.

* Santa Cruz sound card check diagnostic utility
* dxdiag.exe all sound effects tests
* dxdiag.exe all music tests
* Played a .mid MIDI file (dance.mid, found inside Creative AWE32 installation software). Occasionally, the sound sounded distorted, although this may be due to my cheap headphones. Edit: Solved. I adjusted the maximum number of hardware and software notes from 32 to 64, inside the Santa Cruz control panel. Now, I get no distortion when I play that dance.mid MIDI tune.
* Played a game using MIDI music (Hexen 2 demo)
* Played a demo with background sound and music (3DMark 2000 demo mode)

Later, I will do some more conventional mobo benchmarking (eg speed), and I will post back with this testing information and results.

My mediafire uploads
Link to the latest beta bios, version 1014.003, dated 2002/08/05

Information
Link to the Asus download webpage, where you can download the following files if you browse for the "P2B" mainboard. I would like to host all of these files on my Mediafire.com web hosting account, but this will likely annoy Asus, so I won't. Instead, it's best if you go to the Asus website, and download the following files for yourself.

* Aflash BIOS tool V1.37, 2002/08/19 update
* P2B Beta BIOS 1014.003, The latest Beta BIOS, 2002/08/05 update
* P2B (Without Harware Monitor) Beta BIOS 1014.003, The latest Beta BIOS., 2002/08/05 update
* P2B BIOS 1012, Added microcode update support for Coppermine B-0 stepping, 2002/08/05 update
* P2B (without Hardware Monitor) BIOS 1011, The latest released BIOS, 2002/08/05 update
* Aflash V2.21 Utility to update the motherboard flash BIOS - (DOS), 2002/12/23 update
* Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility V2.30.021, 2000/07/13 update
* P2B User Manual (English) E307, 1999/05/26 update

Link to the latest Intel 440BX chipset mobo driver. This is version 3.20.1008. The version provided by Asus is V2.30.021. I have always used the version from the Intel website.

Link to an interesting webpage, where this P2B owner has modified the mobo.
Link to a useful processor upgrade guide webpage, for the P2B.

Questions
1) Does a manual exist, which includes extra information about the P2B mobo after PCB revision number 1.02?

Last edited by retro games 100 on 2010-10-03, 09:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 15, by buckrogers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks RG100, especially with the 440BX chipset driver.

I have a manual for the P2B-DS 1.06, which was the last revision of that board. Not sure about the non DS mobo...

Reply 2 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey retro games 100, I finally figured out why P3 systems are so slow when you disable the L1 cache!

Well disabling L1 also disables L2 which is on the cpu with P3s. On 286, 486 and Super Socket 7 boards the L2 cache is on the mainboard and stays enabled if you disable L1. You can then also disable L2 to slow it down even further...

What a shame because with the L2 turbo Slot boards would be awesome for my tasks 🙁 I looked at the Speedsys charts for my Super Socket 7 board and it just shows you how slow the mainboard L2 cache is compared to the onchip cache. So from P3 onwards mainboards don't have cache chips anymore...

To get any faster without L1 cache it's all down to the FSB. The cpu speed has almost zero impact. I tested that PIII S 1.4 and it gets the exact same 3dbench score as the 1 GHz model. However once we got to DDR and 200 MHz FSBs there just aren't any more ISA slots...

Industrial boards would be nice, but I doubt they allow you to lower and raise the FSB which would be crucial to "fine tune" the system...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think you need to bother with 440BX chipset drivers unless it's Windows 95. I know for certain that 98SE has all you need built-in.

BTW, why doesn't anyone mess with the Mendocino Celerons? The on-die cache is similar to a K6+'s.

Reply 4 of 15, by buckrogers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not essential (XP pro is working fine for me). However, the Intel driver readme has detailed instructions for installing the driver under all OSes up to win2000, while the download page states that it applies to OSes up to XP pro. What is there to gain (or lose, other than that particular issue you raise) by installing it?

Reply 5 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The INF pack mostly assigns devices their proper Intel designated names but they use generic MS-supplied drivers. The big exception is the AGP GART driver that is vendor specific. With Intel, once you get an OS that has built-in support for a chipset, you're good to go and don't have to deal with installing the drivers yourself. It's not like with VIA who couldn't get their shit right even after a hundred revisions.

It's when the OS is older than your chipset that you have to seek out the drivers to make it fully functional.

VIA really made this "upgrading" chipset drivers commonplace because they just had such an awful AGP implementation and everyone hoped the weekly "patch" would be better. Of course it really never got perfect because the hardware was just not entirely functional. Intel seemed to get it right the first time every time.

Reply 7 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got the get me one of these Tualatin enabled converters. Is there a list of models so I can browse ebay?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 15, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would appreciate it, if you could state the topic a little clearer, for instance:
"My benchmarks with an ASUS P2B" or something like that.

The way it is, even when I read your post, I can't decide what info is important and what is not, cause I have no clue as to what you are getting at in the long run. The consequence is, that I abort reading after a few lines.
Just my 2 cents...

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.

Reply 9 of 15, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

BTW, why doesn't anyone mess with the Mendocino Celerons? The on-die cache is similar to a K6+'s.

I've just started to set up an abit bp6 with dual celeron 500's. So far just got some ram [not sure of speed, it was just in the box] and a gf2 gts on it, and been playing with overclocking.

Default voltage is 2.0, fsb 66 and multiplier 7.5.

I can get it to boot at 624mhz using fsb 83, but it needs 2.3v. Multiplier seems to be locked.

I gather the core used on these cpus usually won't work this high once you load an os, and I've seen it said that 366's overclocked to 500 [or 550? guessing it has a 5.5 multiplier] are best as that gets the most out of the rest of the board.

Reply 10 of 15, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have edited the topic title. My future testing threads will be about "general testing" for a component, and also include as much general info as I can acquire. I put (testing and info) after the topic title, because it does fit in with roughly what I want to achieve. I appreciate that this is not specific, but I don't want to concentrate on one specific topic. I want to cover as much ground as possible.

Reply 11 of 15, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I got the get me one of these Tualatin enabled converters. Is there a list of models so I can browse ebay?

I think that the best model available is the Powerleap adapter, model PL-iP3/T PCB version 2.0.

Reply 12 of 15, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Hey retro games 100, I finally figured out why P3 systems are so slow when you disable the L1 cache! ......

Thanks a lot for the info! 😀

swaaye wrote:

I don't think you need to bother with 440BX chipset drivers unless it's Windows 95 ......

I'm going to install Win95 on this mobo soon, to continue testing all of the nVidia legacy drivers for a GF3. 😀

Reply 13 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

This website may be of help 😉
http://www.motherboard.cz/slot1.htm

Reply 14 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I think that the best model available is the Powerleap adapter, model PL-iP3/T PCB version 2.0.

I use one called the Upgradeware Slot-T. It doesn't have its own VRM onboard though so the board has to be able to support around a Tualatin's voltage. Not a prob with my Abit BF6.

At one point a couple of years ago there were bunches on eBay.

Reply 15 of 15, by buckrogers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Asus S370-133 is working for me, but my Asus P3b-f rev 1.03 has the right chip that supports the lower voltages of the Tualatin CPUs. The S370-DL also works in the same application.