VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would like to quickly test a Voodoo 1 card. However, I don't have any pass-through or monitor extension cable. Is it possible to do the following -

1) Put the V1 card in to a spare PCI slot. (Don't connect any pass-through monitor cable to it.)
2) Switch on the PC (using your regular video card), and install the V1 driver.
3) Run a GLide game. Presumably at this point, the screen will go blank.
4) Pull the monitor cable out of your regular video card, and push it in to the V1 card. Hopefully at this point, you will see the GLide game on the screen.

Is this possible? If it is, I'll give it a go. Thanks for any advice.

Reply 5 of 20, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I couldn't resist trying the V1 card. But this is strange - I put the V1 in to a PCI slot, switch on power, and the mobo's BIOS POST freezes. I try another slot - the same thing happens. I wonder if my system is too fast for it? The CPU is running at 1.4 GHz, at 133 FSB. I've read on falconfly.de that old voodoo cards don't like fast systems. The V1 card looks in physically good condition. I'll dig out a slow CPU (eg P3 @ 500 MHz) tomorrow, and retest..

Reply 6 of 20, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Half solved. Yesterday, I couldn't get the mobo to accept the V1 card. I then removed the AGP GF3 card, and replaced it with a PCI video card. That solved the problem. There must have been some kind of mobo resource conflict.

I got to the Win98 desktop, and the V1 was detected. The drivers for it were then installed from the Win98 CD. Inside the control panel -> System area, the voodoo card is present, without any problems. I tried to run a few GLide games, but they all failed, so I installed the last V1 reference driver. I tried to run a few more GLide games, but they all failed.

The games I have tried are Hexen 2 demo, Heretic 2 demo, Quake 2 demo, a 3dfx V1 tech demo and Unreal Tournament demo. These games all fail in various ways. They either can't "see" the voodoo card, or some technical error message box appears. Perhaps I should install the Diamond V1 driver? I'm using a Diamond Monster voodoo1 card. Thanks a lot for any advice on this. I think I'm close to getting this working.

Edit: Is there a special keyboard combo I need to use, to toggle between the normal 2D video screen view, and the Voodoo 3Dfx screen view? Is it something like CTRL-F9, or something like that?

Reply 7 of 20, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I decided to install the Diamond monster (Voodoo 1 card) 3DFX driver. After this driver was successfully installed, I went to "Display Properties", where there is a Diamond tab. In this tab, I can test the card. If I click on the Test button, I get the following error message:

_GlideInitEnvironment: glide2x.dll expected Voodoo Graphics, none detected.

If I run the Diamond 3DFX hardware ulility called Mojo.exe, and click on the Hardware tab, it says: Monster3D Board NOT INSTALLED. However, if I go to the Win98 Control Panel -> System area, there is a device there called Diamond multimedia Monster 3D, and it does not report any errors.

Reply 9 of 20, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Is it maybe a Voodoo2?

It is unmistakably a Diamond multimedia monster 3DFX voodoo 1 card, copyright 1997, Revision E. BTW, I've just located my pass-through cable! I am going to -

* uninstall the Diamond driver
* remove the V1 card
* insert the V1 card + pass-through cable
* reinstall the Diamond driver

Hopefully, with the pass-through cable now attached, I might be able to see what I'm doing better! 😉

Reply 10 of 20, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Is it maybe a Voodoo2?

You've just given me an idea. My test machine has had various voodoo cards installed on it, for example V3 and V5. I wonder if my file system has got "clogged up" with old 3dfx files? It might be an idea to delete some of my old voodoo files, before I reinstall the V1 card and driver. I could search for glide*.*, and then delete those files. Do you know any other files I could search for, so I can delete them, before I reinstall the V1 card and driver? Thanks a lot.

Reply 12 of 20, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Got no image of a freshly installed Windows?

Unfortunately not at the moment.
Using the pass-through cable, I reinserted the card. At the Win98 desktop, the Diamond device was automatically installed. I then ran mojo.exe, and look what happened -

v1.jpg

Either the Windows 98 system needs a fresh install to clear out all of the clutter, or the card has a hardware fault.

Edit: I haven't tried a slower CPU yet. I might try that next..

Edit 2: I tried a slower Coppermine 600 MHz 100 FSB CPU. Mojo.exe still crashes when you run it.

Reply 13 of 20, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have just done a 100% clean fresh Win98 install. Fdisk, format, etc. Mojo.exe still crashes. The Heretic 2 demo displays corrupted graphics when you select the 3dfx video option. I think the card is broken.

It's frustrating when you buy an item of computer equipment on ebay, and the seller puts it in an envelope (not a box), with no anti-static wrapper. And that was an international order. It's fairly obvious it's not going to get a safe journey in that kind of packaging.

Reply 15 of 20, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Have you thought about your mainboard being at fault? Remember it locked up with the other graphics card.

OK - I will try the V1 in a different mobo, but unfortunately the earliest I can try that is Friday..

Reply 16 of 20, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got same errors and i never solved it. Some people told me that voodoo 1 is Athlon XP incompactible. Something about driver issues. Tried about 5 V1 cards and noone working. Thats why i dont have any Voodoo 1 card at mine benchmarks. Cpu Athlon XP 2200+, mb soltek with VIA KT133A. Get older motherboard or voodoo 2. Rather voodoo 2 since unreal tournament wont work or will be slow.

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 17 of 20, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's really interesting. For my tests, I have tried just one mobo so far - i440BX chipset, with three Intel CPUs - 600MHz, 1GHz, 1.4GHz. I will try three more mobos - another 440BX (with any Intel CPU), a VIA SS7 mobo (with K6 III CPU), and a VIA KT133A (with a Duron CPU). I will try these tests within one week. I would do them sooner, but I just don't have the time unfortunately.

Reply 18 of 20, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Solved! 😁 It's a CPU speed problem. To begin with, I tried another Diamond Monster Voodoo1, and that didn't work either. Strange. Too strange, in fact. So I changed the CPU for a much slower one - I removed the speedy Coppermine, and put in a Pentium II, at 400 MHz, with a bus speed of 100. Bingo! All problems gone.

Reply 19 of 20, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vlask wrote:

Got same errors and i never solved it.

I've just discovered something interesting. I inserted a Diamond Monster Voodoo1 card in to a "slow" slot 1 P2-400 system, running Windows 98 SE, and the video card appeared to show the same problems as mentioned previously in this message thread. The number of times this has occured now seems to indicate that it could be some kind of software problem, rather than a hardware problem. (Surely, I can't be handling so much defective hardware?) So, I removed the Win98 HDD, and replaced it with a Win95 HDD, and that immediately fixed the problem.

If you still have some V1 cards, please try using it/them on Win95...