VOGONS

First post, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking for a good Windows benchmark util from 97-99 era, i need good recommendations and valid download links please.

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 2 of 14, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

WinTune 98?

It's one of the few utils I've tried, but it refuse to run if you have something running in the background.
It lists some xxxxxx.exe files that I cannot kill *bah*

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 8 of 14, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks everyone for the links. While I was able to install Winstone96, I was unable to run it in Windows98SE. Winstone begins running fine, then spits out a few errors,

While backing up the PC's registry, Windows returned the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.

Winstone 96 could not back up the Registry. Restart Windows, and if you contine to receive this message, please contact Ziff-Davis Benchmarks Operation.

Winstone 96 failed to start. Correct any problems Winstone 96 report and try starting Winstone 96 again. Choose OK.

The program then shuts down. The copy of Winbench 96 I have seems to work fine in Windows 98SE though.

Does anyone have or know where to obtain Winstone 98/99 or Sysmark 98? These would be useful to the ultimate 686 benchmark comparison.

Last edited by feipoa on 2012-03-04, 05:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 9 of 14, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyone have any preferance of 3DMark2001SE over 3DMark99Max for benchmarking socket 7-era processors (from a P75 to a AMD K6-3)?

Reply 10 of 14, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

Anyone have any preferance of 3DMark2001SE over 3DMark99Max for benchmarking socket 7-era processors (from a P75 to a AMD K6-3)?

I think 3dmark99 is the choice for those CPUs.

Reply 11 of 14, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

I think 3dmark99 is the choice for those CPUs.

I was thinking the same thing; just wanted a second opinion. 3DMark2001SE also require DirextX8+.

Answering to the first poster, I find these benchmarks useful for 95-98 hardware,

WINDOWS 9x
SuperPi
Ziff-Davis Winbench96
Ziff-Davis Winbench99
Ziff-Davis 3D Winbench97
WinTune98
Sandra99
PassMark v4.0
3DMark99 Max/Lite
Final Reality
Quake2 Timedemo - "Software" mode
Quake2 Timedemo - "OpenGL" mode
MDK Performance - "Win95" mode
MDK Performance - "Direct3D" mode

DOS
Norton (Symantec) Sysinfo v8.0/8.1
PC Config
PiDOS
Landmark v2.0
Bytemark v2, 32-bit
Roy Longbottom Dhrystone/Whetstone
Speedsys v4.78
Cachechk v4/7
3Dbench
PcpBench
Doom1 Timedemo
Quake1 Timedemo

These are the programs I have decided upon for the 686 benchmark comparison. I've given up (for now) on finding Winstone 98/99 or Sysmark 98. Winstone would have been particularly good for adding an office component to the comparison.

CPUBench v4.0 by C.J. van Wandelen seems OK and certainly has a lot of features to test like Dhrystone/Whetstone, Pi, Lorenz computations, etc. It seems to work well with my P266 MMX, but I haven't yet tested it on a broad range of older CPUs.
http://cpubench.softpedia.com/

Please let me know if there are any essential benchmark programs lacking for a socket 7 benchmark comparison.