VOGONS

Ensoniq Soundscape Elite recordings

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It should definitely work with Dark Forces. I know for certain that I've used an AudioPCI with that and TIE Fighter.

BTW, you can find drivers for Ensoniq cards on E-Mu's site. The two companies became one back in '98 (under Creative's roof of course). If the 8MB ecw isn't there you can probably get that from Creative's site under Sound Blaster PCI 64 / 128.

Reply 21 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

EDIT: Let me clarify...

I can select General Midi and it works.

But selecting the Soundscape option doesn't do anything (at least when I use the test)...

Yea I found all 3 ecw's so all good!

It's soo funny listening to Monkey Island 2 as this cards substitutes FM synth with wavetable sounds 🤣

EDIT: I checked the E-MU site and they do have drivers but only for windows, not for DOS. The 2 and 4MB sets are there as well!

EDIT EDIT: Well the ecw's work great. There is a ini file which I just change to tell it use the other ecw's 😀

mem/c even reports that more memory is used 😀

Doing a recording for 2, 4 and 8MB with Dark Forces (The same Intro you did but with SB turned off) and also Doom E1M1...

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Well I am making progress...

The Star Wars tune is quite interesting. One one hand it's quite complex on the other hand it sounds good even on the cheap wavetable options.

Are there any other Games that support MT-32, General Midi, native GUS, native AWE and have interesting music with maybe "less going on"?

Doom music is quite simple, so you can realy concentrate on how the indivual instruments sound. Dark Forces is a full blown orchestra and I struggle to seperate instruments...

Reply 22 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AudioPCI recordings here! Done with 2, 4 and 8 MB soundfonts!

Quite impressed with the quality. But I would have to agree with you that your Elite sounds better!

Really strange, I wonder why that is? Can't you dump the Elite soundfonts and load them into the AudioPCI?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 23 of 23, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Quite impressed with the quality. But I would have to agree with you that your Elite sounds better!

Really strange, I wonder why that is? Can't you dump the Elite soundfonts and load them into the AudioPCI?

I have no doubt that the Soundscape's MIDI hardware is much superior. It was used in their musical instruments too. The AudioPCI does everything in software you know. This had to be done on a Pentium MMX back in the day. It's a softsynth designed to run on very slow CPUs.

There's no way to dump the patch set and I'm sure you couldn't use it on an AudioPCI anyway because of the software limitations.