VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My audio cable has just arrived. It can be plugged in to a sound card at either end. I was hoping to plug it in to an old sound card, and then connect the other end of the cable in to my WinXP box, with an X-Fi sound card because I want to make a MIDI music recording.

To simply test the cable, and make sure it works, I've plugged one end of the audio cable in to my walkman, and the other end of the cable in to the X-Fi. I'm sorry about this, but what do I do next? Please help me, because I am a dimwit. Thank you.

Reply 2 of 5, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks very much. I've just downloaded it. I ran it, and attempted to make a recording, but I get complete silence. But I've just realised something. I've got an X-Fi gamer card. I looked up the spec on the net, and I think that all of its jacks are output only. I don't think that any of the 3.5mm jacks are inputs. No wonder I've never been able to record on this card - that's if I'm right about the jacks. There's another jack on the back, with a weird kind of pink glow coming from it. I don't think I can plug the 3.5mm audio cable in to it.

Reply 3 of 5, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The last (white) one is a dual Flexijack which features line in, microphone in and optical out.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2007/07/01/c … i_xtremegamer/1

Apparently you need to configure that white jack for line-in.

Reply 5 of 5, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

swaaye: please explain in layman terms, what you mean by configure. Cause I have an XFI Xtreme gamer soundcard, and I am using the microphone part , when I am using skype. And I record normally via the microphone, so how do I configure it ? or do I have an "older" version of that card ? cause I bought the card 2 or 3 years ago.. Or are we basically talking about, you can not plug a jack to jack stick to it, and record from the "source" which in this case could be another sound card or a stereo system ? sorry if I sound confused. Even though I do not intend to be confused. Or does it need some kind of pre amplification as a "Middleman" between the source and the card ?