VOGONS

First post, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quick question regarding sound cards and how you hook them up. If this has been addressed before, the search function is not working well 😉

If you have multiple sound cards (or music options) in a system installed and you want to select one for a particular game (let's say you use headphones), do you physically change the headphone jack in the back of the computer to the right sound card?

Does anything like this exist? (pardon my outstanding photoshop skills):
boxh.jpg

Where you'd just press a button and it'd select the right input. I checked e-bay and all I found were RCA audio/video input selection boxes, but no 3.5mm jacks.

Would hooking it up this way lose audio quality since it'd have to go a little farther?

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 11, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I often wonder the same thing, the multi-av things I've seen only have RCA jacks and the mixers in music shops likewise. Seems like an awful lot of adapters will needed especially if you have a few machines to hook up, each with a couple of soundcards.

Reply 2 of 11, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think some of the guys used a stereo system as the changer between the soundcards. But damn, I wish I could remember what that thread was called, just like the thread about cool external sound/midi box that held multiple soundcards where you could also change between the cards if I remember correctly. Since I have been desperate lately to get the name of that kind of external sound box. So could some body help me out with the name of that " external soundcard/midibox name" ?

Reply 3 of 11, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just link sound cards together via line input. Chain 'em up. Not sure what to do with a module tho.

Some cards have multiple line inputs. The Soundscape cards for example have a dual purpose line-in/mic jack in addition to a CD/aux jack.

Reply 4 of 11, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WolverineDK wrote:

I think some of the guys used a stereo system as the changer between the soundcards. But damn, I wish I could remember what that thread was called, just like the thread about cool external sound/midi box that held multiple soundcards where you could also change between the cards if I remember correctly. Since I have been desperate lately to get the name of that kind of external sound box. So could some body help me out with the name of that " external soundcard/midibox name" ?

my little Midi box

or

What about MIDITEMP stuff?

?

Reply 5 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just use a headphone amp. In that case you can use these A/V switchers and the RCA out goes into the headphone amp.

Most headphone amps have several inputs anyway.

The SC-55 also has a line-in. So if you use that, you will only deal with 3 outputs all up.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 11, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ratfink wrote:
my little Midi box […]
Show full quote
WolverineDK wrote:

my little Midi box

or

What about MIDITEMP stuff?

?

thanks, it was the whole miditemp and doxbox stuff I was thinking off, and I remember a thread about some body using a kind of doxbox for his sound stuff too. And no it is not Silent Loons thread, but Silent Loon rocks with his homemade sound box, which is an awesome box.

Reply 7 of 11, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jan3Sobieski wrote:

Quick question regarding sound cards and how you hook them up. If this has been addressed before, the search function is not working well..

Yes, I too agree that the search function is not very friendly. It's not easy to find what you want.

Coming back to the topic, in one of my setups, I use the following :

SR5002_BACK-1200.jpg

It's the back view of Marantz SR5002 Surround AV receiver. Using the remote, you just need to select the corresponding input to hear the sounds or to see the video.

To this, I have connected the following :

1. Main PCs X-Fi's 7-channel outputs to the 7-channel inputs

2. From this Main PC again - Additional Co-axial Digital Out from the X-Fi's I/O Drive to one of the co-axial input.

3.Classic System's AWE32's Line-Out to one of the RCA inputs. This is generally for multi-channel upmixing, and Dolby ProLogic upmixing using ordinary stereo source. (For example hearing Wing Commander IV's Dolby Surround sound in DOS.)

4. Classic Sytems's SC-55 MKII to another RCA input.

5. CLassic System's LAPC-I to another RCA input.

6. Playstation (One) 's audio to another RCA input.

7. PS2's Digital Out to an optical input.

8. PS3's Digital Out to another optical input.

9. Cable TV's audio to another RCA input.

10. My Win98's Live! Digital audio via the Live! Drive to one more Optical input.

You can also get this simpler mixer :

294571.jpg

For my 486, the output from my Roland CM-500 goes to the Line-IN of the AWE32. Line out from the AWE32 in turn goes to the 2.1 speaker system.

I'm also using the AWE32 side by side with a Sound Blaster 1.5 for the C/MS music in one of my systems. Here, I pass the speaker out from the SB 1.5 to the line-in of the AWE32. The SB 1.5's port is changed to 240, IRQ to 7, MIDI disabled. AWE32 is at A220 I5.

Just some examples. 😀

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 8 of 11, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Jan3Sobieski, better thing you can use for that is any desktop mixer with several stereo/mono inputs (more = better).
Best imho: Midiman Multimixer 6, Midiman Multimixer 10, Edirol M-10MX.
I use Multimixer 10 now, but waiting when my M-10MX arrived.
Input selector is not so good solution because in most situations simultaneous output required (MT-32/GM for ingame music and SB-like for SFX).
In my current setup i use in same time various internal and external sound and midi sources:
AWE64 Gold
GUS Ace
Roland SCC-1
Live! 5.1
Covox
Roland CM-500
Yamaha MU10
Miditemp DoXintheBoX
All these sources connected to Multimixer 10.

Reply 9 of 11, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Malik: That's some setup you got there! That wouldn't work for me at this moment though because of lack of space and the fact that i don't have any consoles or even a TV to hook up to it. I don't need that many options at the moment 😀

However that multimixer is exactly what I'm looking for! I checked ebay and amazon and there are many to chose from! Perfect!

@Aleksej: Why are you switching from the Midiman Multimixer 10 to Edirol? Midiman 10 seems to be half the price of Edirol. What's better about the Edirol?

aleksej wrote:

Input selector is not so good solution because in most situations simultaneous output required

Why didn't I think of that? You're absolutely right.

Reply 10 of 11, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Malik: that amplifier/receiver is giving me a fucking hardon (sorry for those who get offended by that sexual reference) what kind of speakers are you using to feed that puppy ? I have two Dali 7A, and if I had 6 Dali 7A´s and a Dali centre speaker, I would love to have that puppy. That you have , damn that is a serious setup you got there as Jan3Sobieski said. Damn do you also have some LP player, and what not to it ? cause that beast could really put on a party.

Reply 11 of 11, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:

Malik: that amplifier/receiver is giving me a fucking hardon (sorry for those who get offended by that sexual reference) what kind of speakers are you using to feed that puppy ? I have two Dali 7A, and if I had 6 Dali 7A´s and a Dali centre speaker, I would love to have that puppy. That you have , damn that is a serious setup you got there as Jan3Sobieski said. Damn do you also have some LP player, and what not to it ? cause that beast could really put on a party.

I have 20 individually selected speakers (10 pairs) surrounding my game arcade...err..room. 😁

Plus one Sub-woofer : Sony SA-GN10.

SA-GN10 Specifications:
SA-GN10 (20 cm 2200W PMPO 200W RMS)
Speaker Unit: 20cm x 1
AV Shield
Size: 265 x 430 x 400 cms
Weight: 13.8 Kgs

The speakers include two pairs of tweeters.

The speaker lot consists of Aiwa, Sony and Philips.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers