VOGONS

First post, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have this legacy machine: p200mmx, 64mb ram, sbpci128, s3virge, voodoo2, using dos 6.20

In the games with hires mode (640x480) when I select high resolution the sound and music got garbled, like full of static/the sound becomes "metallic". All is normal with vga mode.

The games affected until now are slam n jam, test drive off road and time commando.

Reply 3 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It could be that the video cards are hogging the PCI bus and not leaving enough bandwidth for the sound card.

You might try looking for PCI-related settings in your BIOS to fiddle with, or just get an ISA sound card for DOS games.

Reply 4 of 6, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The mobo is a asustek tx97. I found in the pci menu in bios a setting about pci latency clock: it's set to "32"

I tried to reduce the number and the corrupt sound happened in lower resolution too.

😖 Buying a ISA card...if I think that when I was a child I exchanged an isa awe32 for this card... 😖 stupid me.

Reply 5 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Now it makes sense...

You are using a PCI soundcard. These cards use software to emulate ISA cards. This software has a overhead (it needs cpu time). Once you go to SVGA your cpu can't handle it anymore.

On a faster machine it would likely work, but not on your Pentium.

So for you:

ISA all the way! If you have ISA slots there is no excuse for not having a nice ISA Sound Blaster 🤣

SB16s are the easiest / cheapest to find

Reply 6 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SB16's are a good choice, as they have an OPL chip and a 16-bit stereo DAC and are both widely supported and mostly backwards-compatible to Adlib/SB/SBPro. You can hook a MIDI synth (with a joystick-to-MIDI cable) or MIDI daughterboard (most are buggy though from what I've read) to them later as well if you want to have that capability.