Promise PCI IDE Controller

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 41, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm PCI I see...

Do you have a Linux Live CD to boot and see if the controller works? Or a XP installation on another harddive / machine and see what the controller card gets recognized as...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 21 of 41, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Hmm PCI I see...

Do you have a Linux Live CD to boot and see if the controller works? Or a XP installation on another harddive / machine and see what the controller card gets recognized as...

I do have some XP installs so I can try that. But before I do here is a picture of it (sorry for bad quality).

Attachments

• Filename
    IMG_2464.JPG
    File size
    224.83 KiB
    Downloads
    88 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
16MB 72-pin SIMM RAM (2x8MB)
1MB Diamond Speedstar Pro VLB video card
SB 16 Value CT2770
AOpen VI15G Socket 3 Motherboard
HDD/FDD VLB controller card

Reply 22 of 41, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ahh that helps!

Maybe we should have a "pics first" policy here 🤣

This is your manual: http://firstweb.promise.com/upload/Support/Ma … 0_Manual_En.pdf

My YouTube channel

Reply 23 of 41, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rick12373 wrote:

Well I have the Promise card in with HDD in IDE1 and CD ROM in IDE2.

As a temporary measure, I would strongly recommend that you remove your CD-ROM entirely from this system to begin with. Get the HDD working first. Forget about the CD-ROM.

I wonder if an Ultra 100 controller is a bit too new for this old 486 board? Long shot idea: Try the controller card in PCI slot 1, and the video card in PCI slot 2.

You've disabled the integrated IDE. The way to "activate" the controller card is lost in my hazy memory, but it's got something to do with a BIOS set up area option where you see the "level" / "edge" option choices. I think.

Edit: Are you using an 80-wire 40-pin IDE cable?

Reply 24 of 41, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

RG100 made a very good point!

I would remove everthing and see if you get "drive not found" or similar message if it still hangs...

If it doesn't hang and you get a "drive not found" message we are getting somewhere 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 25 of 41, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

BTW, CDROMs rarely work well (or at all) on PCI IDE cards. Shoddy ATAPI support. Run those on the mobo IDE.

I've gotten a Ultra 66 working on a 486 before. It took me awhile to figure out the combo of BIOS settings that made it all work out.... I couldn't even guess what they were offhand 🤣 I'd have to look.

I'm pretty sure you don't want to enable the BIOS's "PCI IDE Card" support though. That's for cards without a BIOS onboard (or BIOS disabled), and those are rare/old.

You shouldn't need to set the BIOS to boot from SCSI. The PCI IDE card's BIOS will take care of putting its IDE ports on the normal IDE resource ranges. If you aren't seeing the card's BIOS initialize during POST then you should try different PCI slots. It will detect the attached drives and say which IDE address they are on. Also, another PCI card could be conflicting if the PCI slots share resources. Sometimes PCI cards don't get along on the same INT.

Last edited by swaaye on 2010-10-24, 21:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 26 of 41, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm just thinking about it...

My Slot 1 system with Intel BX440 chipset is only Ultra DMA 33...

So this controller is quite "recent" in Retro age...

My YouTube channel

Reply 27 of 41, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup, 810 added UDMA 66 and 100 eventually. I remember IDE going from UDMA 33 to 133 in only a couple of years. UDMA 100 and 133 are practically the same. UDMA 33 is a little bit of a bottleneck but it's not a big deal on a PIII PC.

Reply 28 of 41, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, I have bee messing with stuff a bit. I can get the controller card to see the HD and it says it detected the DVD drive but DOS can't see it. DOS 6.22 FDisk detected it as 2GB which is annoying because DOS 7.1 used to detect as 8GB (actually an 80GB HDD). I couldn't find a 7.10 boot disk at the time. I am going to try some suggestions mentioned above. I am going to move the controller to PCI slot 1 and video to PCI slot 2. Will report back.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 29 of 41, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No that's good! You are almost there!

DOS 6.22 only supports FAT16. So a partition can only be 2 GB!

However you can have several partitions. E.g. on a 4GB CF card you create two 2 GB partitions and after the FORMAT you have C: and D: with 2GB each...

If you use FDISK from W95B or W98SE it will ask you if you want to enable support for larger drives (say YES) and then you can create partitions greater than 2 GB!

Using FAT32 (W95B or W98SE or later) you should be able to use larger HDDs.

I quote the user manual:

Onboard BIOS with LBA translation and Extended Int 13, supporting IDE hard
drives up to 128GB

So having a 128GB drive in a 486. Well THAT'S pretty cool 🤣

Reply 30 of 41, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I found my DOS 7.10 so I am installing that. I think it is seeing my DVD drive. I plugged in to the onboard IDE2 because the HDD controller is in IDE1 on the card. Is that right?

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 32 of 41, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rick12373 wrote:

Well I found my DOS 7.10 so I am installing that. I think it is seeing my DVD drive. I plugged in to the onboard IDE2 because the HDD controller is in IDE1 on the card. Is that right?

Well your card has 2 IDE channels. Per channel you have a Master and Slave device.

So you can drive 4 devices off that card. The onboard controller really shouldn't be necessary.

If you jumper the HDD as master and the CD-Rom as slave they should work on the same IDE channel off a single cable.

Reply 33 of 41, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The DVD is plugged in to the onboard and the HDD to the card. So far it seems to be working.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 34 of 41, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Excellent!

Let us know if you can partition and format the whole 80GB!

My YouTube channel

Reply 35 of 41, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MSDOS 7.10 reports 78,129,056 kb. That's 80GB right? So just to recap the HDD is in IDE1 of the controller card and my DVD ROM is in IDE2 of the motherboard (dud that due to being told that the controller card will probably have problems with optical drives). Should the optical be in IDE1 or IDE2 of the motherboard or does it make any difference?

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 37 of 41, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It really doesn't make a difference.

Personally I try to keep the cables as neat as possible so that's usually how I organize the cables.

e.g. my Slot 1 Retro machine:

- Flopp cable
- Dual CF adapter into IDE 1
- DVDRW drive into IDE 2

dsc01886h.jpg

Reply 38 of 41, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Once you get it working like that you should see if you have issues with the optical drive on the PCI controller as well. If it works it would likely work a lot better.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 39 of 41, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
prophase_j wrote:

Once you get it working like that you should see if you have issues with the optical drive on the PCI controller as well. If it works it would likely work a lot better.

Yeah, I'll try and do that.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770