VOGONS

8GMGSMT.SF2 SoundFont?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by unmei220

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is what I was talking about. I didn't remembered it well, seems not to be related.

• Q. Why won't the SoundBlaster AWE64 work with a 6x86?

A. The AWE64 achieves its voice count of 64 by integrating a 32 voice hardware wavetable synthesis engine with a 32 voice software synthesizer. The problem is that WaveSynth/WG software synthesizer that is included with the AWE64 does not work on a 6x86. The WaveSynth/WG software uses Pentium specific instructions. The WaveSynth/SG software looks for an Intel Pentium prior to its installation and it will not install unless you have a Intel P90 or higher CPU. It says in BOLD lettering on the box that an Intel Pentium 90 or higher processor is required and they mean it! The problem has nothing to do with compatibility of the AWE64 hardware. The hardware works perfectly, but the WaveSynth/WG software does not.

You can forget trying to fool Windows 95 into believing that you are using a Pentium machine with a CPU identifier such as 6x86_p.exe so that you may install the software. It will not work. Even if you install a Pentium CPU inorder to install the software it will lock up trying to load the necessary drivers as soon as you reinstall the 6x86 because the software is truly incompatible.

Here is the standard Cyrix tech support cut and paste response to the problem.

At present, this card will not work with a Cyrix CPU.

Source: http://www.realworldtech.com/altcpu/subpages/ … faq/faq4of7.htm

Reply 21 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah W95 okido!

AWE64 I used under DOS. It's the Live! and Audigy cards that I used under W98SE. But the Live! is simply faulty. It never worked under DOS either.

But yea Cyrix, ALWAYS some issue somewhere 🤣

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 22 of 23, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

The one that they are refering to is an SB0200/0203. Mine is a true SBLive! Value Edition, a CT4780 ( http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/acc/9624P/En/index.htm ), with the EMU10K1 chip (not the EMU10K1X chip mentioned in the Wiki for the SB0200/SB0203), and has full hardware acceleration for DirectSound and EAX; purchased about two years ago from here -> http://www.txmicro.com/Creative-Labs-Sound-Bl … 780-p-3580.html 😀

As far as incompatibilities with various CPUs/chipsets, yeah WaveSynth/WaveGuide had a few problems with specific processors, as does the SBLive's DOS MIDI emulation. FWIW, the Creative Software Synthesizer in Windows (which uses the Ensoniq "ECW" wavesets) superceded WaveSynth/WaveGuide, and is similar to what the SBLive! uses for DOS MIDI emulation.

Both WaveSynth/WaveGuide, and the Creative Software Synthesizer (Windows version, and DOS MIDI emulation) sound fairly sick to me... neither supports reverb or chorus (MIDI controllers 91 and 93) of any kind... dunno why they never implemented those common General MIDI features.

(EDIT) P.S. You also can't "cheat" by applying digital reverb via EAX to CSS in Windows, dunno why that doesn't work. Heh, I can apply digital reverb (or any other EAX effects) via EAX to the Microsoft GS Software Sythensizer (you know, what comes with WinDoZe), and have it sounding quite respectable 😀 I can also apply reverb (or an other EAX effects) via the same method to the MUNT MT-32 Synth Emulator, as well as the Yamaha S-YXG50 software synthesizer 😀

Although, the Creative Software Synthesizer (Windows version, and DOS MIDI emulation) sounds considerably better than the older WaveSynth/WaveGuide, simply because you can use the "Eapci8m.ecw" waveset with the CSS; and the default "Eapci2m.ecw"/"Default.ecw" is of better quality than than 1.8MB sound bank prpvided with WaveSynth/WaveGuide.

(EDIT #2) Clarification: "Creative Software Synthesizer" = "SBLive! SW Synth" also.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 23 of 23, by osmanvielma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah. Exactly. I came to this point where I thought the CT4MGM (Internal name 4MB GMGSMT) or the Default Soundfont for some Creative Card was the best. Since it have:

- Has GM/GS melodic instruments, plus GS drumsets and SFX set.
- Has MT-32 instruments, plus CM-64/32 drumset.

Very complete. Sounds good.

I started to look for the (probably mythical) 8MB-GMGSMT, but no luck.
I just found this Soundfont, some german guy (I think) did for games.
It's interesting. Maybe better than the already good 4MB-GMGSMT.

(It says its 8MB but it's actually 27MB or so)

"8MBGM ENHANCED by holbred is based on Merlin 8mbgm_plus13."

"It is considerably better than the CT4MGM.SF2 soundfont that is loaded
when you play MIDI sounds with, for example, an Audigy 2. However, it has still some flaws.
Hence, I improved it with instruments of other soundfonts."

This is from the info text file:

"8MBGM ENHANCED v1.8

Optimized for:
Descent 1, Descent 2, Monkey Island 1, Monkey Island 2, Indiana Jones 3, Indiana Jones 4.

This Soundfont should be fit very well also for other games that support the General MIDI standard.

Description:

8MBGM ENHANCED by holbred is based on Merlin 8mbgm_plus13. In comparison with other big
soundfonts, this one sounds best if you play Descent and other games that use the General
MIDI standard. It is considerably better than the CT4MGM.SF2 soundfont that is loaded
when you play MIDI sounds with, for example, an Audigy 2. However, it has still some flaws.
Hence, I improved it with instruments of other soundfonts. I orientated myself on the MIDI sound
of my Terratec Maestro 32/96. This ISA card is able to play MIDI songs in a quality that is
unsurpassed by PCI sound cards in most cases."

Source (as of 2018/Jul/18th):
http://www.bredel.homepage.t-online.de/Soundf … ts-english.html