VOGONS

First post, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello fellas, I've a question to ask. For some reason my SB16 is acting weird. It seems to produce a weird tapping/clicking sound in the speakers whenever its playing digital sounds. FM synth seems fine, Midi on my DB50xg though also seems to do the same thing, albeit much less irritatingly.

To clarify, if for example I play the classic Windows 98 opening sound, the clicking is very noticeable right in the end when the sound file is still being played but the sound has faded. This happens both in DOS and Windows and despite trying different drivers I haven't managed to work the problem out.
I should say that I've tried both my SB16 cards, one's a CT2940(the one I'm currently using) and the other is a CT2960. I'm currently using my SB16+DB50XG in conjunction with my AWE64 Gold, but I'm pretty sure this also happens when I'm using just the SB16.

I'm generally not picky about my sound, I only use 2 normal stereo speakers from the 90's on my retro PC, hanging note bug on SB16 never ticked me off nor did the AWE64's dropping note bug, so I'm fairly sure the problem exists 😜

I should not that ,at least on the Wavetable Midi side, the sound disappears in recordings that I've created.

Reply 1 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And both SB16s produce this clicking sound?

I would try another ISA slot. I would also check the BIOS in case you have a IRQ conflict. I make it a habbit to disable any devices I don't use (serial port, com port, ide controllers...)

If the BIOS has a PnP option, make sure you put the Sound IRQ (5 or 7) to "Legacy ISA card"

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 9, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've tried another ISA slot and it still does it. I've also disabled 1 of 2 serial ports (I need one for transferring files to my Amiga 😜) and my serial port(I'm fairly sure it's not an IRQ thing).My SB16 right now is using A220,I5,D1,Midi 330 and my AWE64 A240,I7,D3,Midi 300. I'm going to try a few things tomorrow probably like:

*Use earphones to check if it still does the same thing
*Record and see if it also happens there

Reply 4 of 9, by duralisis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I get the same issue on a Via KT133A board and a CT2943. It only has one ISA slot and no combination of BIOS options or stripping out all other hardware/interference seems to work.

It even crackles in pure DOS for me; only digital though; the synth is unaffected. Oddly; my AWE64 Value doesn't have any issue with crackling; so I'm pretty sure it's a low level hardware compatibility issue.

Reply 5 of 9, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
duralisis wrote:

I get the same issue on a Via KT133A board and a CT2943. It only has one ISA slot and no combination of BIOS options or stripping out all other hardware/interference seems to work.

It even crackles in pure DOS for me; only digital though; the synth is unaffected. Oddly; my AWE64 Value doesn't have any issue with crackling; so I'm pretty sure it's a low level hardware compatibility issue.

I hear crackling noises with an AWE32 on a Via KT133A board, and I get weird results (latency problems) with a Terratec EWS64XL on the same board. I also notice an absence of crackling when using an AWE64. I wonder if it's a voltage problem with the ISA slot?

Reply 6 of 9, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well VIA couldn't make PCI work properly for about 5 chipset families so who knows if ISA is well designed or not, or if the mobo maker took shortcuts because ISA was almost dead, etc.

Also, sometimes you can get things working better by playing with Passive Release and Delayed Transaction. Mystery options that sometimes don't get along with ISA cards (enabled or disabled is the question). You could also try cranking the I/O Recovery Times (if they are configurable) so that ISA has more time to do its thing.