VOGONS

First post, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got an old Socket 7 board here that's been giving me some trouble to say the least, the CMOS will not hold settings due to the battery being dead.

Here's the catch: There's no battery clip, which leads me to believe that it's integrated into the RTC, which conveniently just happens to be sitting next to the BIOS chip as shown in one of the pictures below.

So Is this board dead, save for soldering in a new RTC? Or is this a rechargeable battery?

Attachments

• Filename
    029.jpg
    File size
    2.36 MiB
    Downloads
    128 downloads
    File comment
    Full picture of the board itself
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    030.jpg
    File size
    2.9 MiB
    Downloads
    137 downloads
    File comment
    BIOS and RTC
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Dant on 2010-10-30, 17:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your Odin chip is indeed one of the combo RTC/battery deals, similar to the Dallas chips.

You have two options... you can replace the module, they are still available, but aren't cheap. Alternately, you could hack a new battery onto the existing one.

Those things are usually socketed, BTW.

Last edited by Old Thrashbarg on 2010-10-30, 17:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 4, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The CMOS battery is contained inside the ODIN chip. And it's not socketed? That's bad luck. If it isn't socketed, you'll need to desolder it, then you've got 2 options. Both options aren't straight forward. 1) You could physically hack in to it, locate the battery, remove it, replace it with a new one. 2) Solder in a new ODIN chip to the board. The problem with this is a) there aren't any on ebay at the moment. b) if there were, their batteries might also be dead.

Edit: Old Thrashbarg beat me to it! 😀

Reply 3 of 4, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I do have an iron, solder, and wire on-hand. If it's possible all I should need is a pin-out sheet and a watch battery to bypass it with, right?

EDIT: Crap, the only solder I have left is some POS lead-free, and BTW, the chip is NOT socketed to clear that up.

Reply 4 of 4, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you manage to remove the chip, it is pretty easy to "hack" it. I've done it in the past for an old soyo board, on which the dallas chip had died. The problem was that every time before running the POST, it loaded the default BIOS values, on which, the hard disk was set to not installed. So it was completely useless without a new chip or something. I think I used this tutorial : http://www.mcamafia.de/mcapage0/dsrework.htm