VOGONS

First post, by rolandfan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings,

anyone know a way to fix/restore a sample sound? My roland daughterboard is missing snare drum. It's a daughterboard that hops onto a host soundcard like soundblaster 16.

Just found out after playing some songs with some snare drums which sounds fine with my two other daughterboards (korg, yamaha).

Is there like a utility I can use to load the samples? Roland USA was no help which is understandable since it's long been EOL.

Other than the missing drums , it absolutely rocks.

Reply 1 of 16, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's odd. I believe the samples are stored in ROM, so not much you can do...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 16, by rolandfan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To Hunterz: Not sure what you mean by standard or alternate bank.
To Mau1: I know it's weird. 4meg rom and only drum sound is missing. I got this off Ebay. There is no obvious physical damage that I can see.

First noticed with streets_of_philadelphia.mid bcause it has very noticeble continuous drum track. Roland scd is not playing the drums at all while my other two boards have no problems.

Reply 4 of 16, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

rolandfan: GM/GS/XG synths have alternate "banks" of sounds that can be selected. For drums specifically, GM has several selections including Standard 1, Standard 2, Room, Jazz, Power, Orchestra, Brush, TR-808, etc. I was just wondering if maybe some of the MIDI music you're playing uses a drum bank that isn't fully supported by the SCD-15.

Reply 5 of 16, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Rolandfan you could post the midi file here and I can play it on a SC-55 and see what it sounds like or even record it...

My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 16, by rolandfan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To Mau: Ok I think it's best that I post the midi file.
To Hunterz: Ahh I didn't know that. That explains why sometimes I hear drums. It must be then the GM drum section is missing/damage/corrupted

anyway here it is.

Attachments

• Filename
    streetsofphilly.zip
    File size
    4.73 KiB
    Downloads
    222 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 16, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rolandfan wrote:

To Mau: Ok I think it's best that I post the midi file.

anyway here it is.

Coolies!

Well I can hear drums just fine. On my Roland SC-55 display they play on channel 10 if that helps.

Here is a MP3 recording: http://www.mediafire.com/?499nauc7qyhlm0n

Good midi by the way...

Reply 8 of 16, by rolandfan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On mine drum sounds are completely missing. Now I gotta track down roland utility.

Edit: ok digging up floppies. found Doremix. according to roland info site individual patch can be turned off or on. Maybe doremix could try to turn it on?

Reply 9 of 16, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think others here may have an SCD-15. Would be interesting to see if they have the same issue. Could it possibly be an issue with the host sound card?

Reply 10 of 16, by rolandfan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

🤣, never thought I'd get so attached to a piece of 16 yr old pc hardware.

To HunterZ: I'm not quite sure if it's the host card because I have two other daughterboards(not roland) and they play everything fine zero problems except occasional hanging note here and there. But I like roland.

Yeah I've used search and found no answers so I started this thread.

I've included the recording to demonstrate the problem.

Attachments

Reply 11 of 16, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It does look like your SCD-15 is a bit sick 😢

If the other 2 cards works just fine I can't think of anything else "blocking" midi channel 10 just on your SCD-15...

It might be time to look for a new card. I always recommend getting a external Sound Canvas (SC-55, SC-55MK2 or SC55ST)

Reply 13 of 16, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

+1 🤣 There are a ton of Roland modules that are compatible!

A good overview can be found on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Sound_Canvas

My YouTube channel

Reply 15 of 16, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HunterZ wrote:

I think others here may have an SCD-15. Would be interesting to see if they have the same issue ...

Next year I'm going to label my retro boxes, so I know what's in them and where to find things! 😉

Reply 16 of 16, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a SCD-15. I don't use it on SB16 anymore because it always has had wrong note / stuck note problems with them.

I've found that it works fine on ESS cards and Vortex cards, although the Vortex MPU401 doesn't always work with some DOS games. However, the Vortex cards have much better analog circuitry and the DB sounds great on them. I haven't tried other DB headers. I wish I had a MPU401 card but they are very rare.