VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am testing a ThermalTake PSU, model Pure Power 480APD. I notice that it's got a small 2 wire cable attached to it. On the end of it, there's a small 2 pin socket plug. It's purpose is to attach a PSU fan speed controller. I wonder, can you a) get 2 pin PSU fan controllers any more, and b) if they are available, can I use any "generic" fan controller, not necessarily manufactured by ThermalTake? Thanks a lot for any info.

Reply 1 of 5, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have had a few power supplies with 2 pin connector. The purpose was to be plugged in to a regular 3 pin fan connector on the motherboard. Normally, the 3 pins are power, ground, and speed sense. The 2 pins coming from the supply is simply the sense and a ground, leaving the power on the motherboard's connector empty. This allows you to monitor the fans speed using the BIOS or other software.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 2 of 5, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you go to this webpage here (overclockersonline), they review this PSU. Please scroll down to the 5th photo. This is a drive bay style fan controller, and it's got a 2 pin plug on the end of it.

If you continue to scroll down this webpage and look at the 10th photo, you can see the 2 pin cable (red and black, near left middle edge of photo) which you use to connect to this drive bay style fan controller. You can also see the 3 pin (but only 2 wire, yellow and black, middle of photo) mobo PSU fan connector cable.

Reply 4 of 5, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Strange product...

It has 2 fans and the website does list different RPMs depending on temps...

It also has a bay and a rear bracket fan controller? One for each fan maybe?

What if you set the fan to min and temp is 90c? Would the temp controller override the fan controller?

Weird design for sure 🤣