VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Enermax model EG475AX-VE(G). Symptoms: seems to switch on OK, but it does not provide any power. I'm using it as a second PSU, to provide power to peripheral components such as HDD, DVD-ROM, etc and occasionally video cards.

Yesterday, it powered a Radeon 9800 OK, but today it seems lifeless. I am using the "paperclip method" (8th post by 5u3) to active it, because I am using another PSU for the mobo. There were no signs of any problems, such as a bang, burning smell, etc. Any ideas please people?

Edit: It was working OK for at least 1 year. When I switch on power, it always makes a brief "crackling noise". I am guessing that this is a normal sound for this particular model of PSU?

Last edited by retro games 100 on 2010-11-07, 07:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you opened it up to have a look inside?

Warning:If you open it up, don't let it electrocute you!
best is to leave it on the bench for a couple days.
When opened up check for leaking caps, burned or cracked voltage regulators etc.

If it's failed it's best to not try it out on your precious hardware. Do you have a test motherboard where you can check the voltages from within the bios?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 3, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think it's about time I opened up a PSU, to have a look inside. I would like to err on the side of caution. I'll leave it untested for one week. After that time has elapsed, do you think it's 100% safe to open it up, and to prod about with it? Thanks a lot for any advice.

Reply 3 of 3, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Solved! The seller wrapped one of the molex leads in tape. I decided to investigate. It was because one of the molex plugs was loose. This loose plug caused no power to be fed to all of the other molex connectors, on that lead. I wiggled the loose plug a bit, and that has solved the problem. The PSU now works correctly. 😀