VOGONS

First post, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a 486 motherboard here which would not detect any keyboard.
I checked everywhere for the keyboard fuse, and if I did find any fuses they checked out ok.

IIRC There was even 5v on the keyboard connector, but as a hunch I did something horrible...
I "borrowed" 5v from the AT power connector and brought it directly to the 5v pin of the keyboard connector.

So, the keyboard has worked from then on but since I can't keep it forever I'm not sure if this solution is the best one to keep around.
It is my only 486 board with real L2 cache which I was hoping to build into a dosbox and give away for free.

Are there any other things I can do, or should I just leave it be?

Oh, there is also a weird issue with cachechk on this board.
Depending on the memory timings it can report fake L2 even when I know it's real.
With the lowest timings it says it's fine, anything higher and I guess the difference isn't big enough to pass it's test.

Any thoughts on that issue?

Reply 2 of 3, by unmei220

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you check for broken traces on the back of the PCB near the keyboard connector ?
Otherwise, like h-a-l-9000 said, a hires photo of the surroundings would be helpful.

Reply 3 of 3, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll get a photo once I find the board and my camera, I believe I looked for all that but it looked fine.
At one time I though the keyboard connector itself was bad and tried to replace it, but my hands were too shaky to continue.

In the end though it seems like it wasn't that at all, hopefully I'll have a pic in a few hours.