VOGONS

Retro 3D Accelerator Screenshot Collection

Topic actions

Reply 345 of 353, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Capture of the permedia 2 and rage iic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlY-IvgJvI8.
Formula 1 97, homeworld, I've got some balls, need for speed 5, virtual sailor 3, flight sim 98, darkstone, superbike world championship, thief.

The rage ii is slow and noisy, the permedia 2 is faster but bland. The latter is a matter of contrast. The rage ii does ok in homeworld at least.

Reply 346 of 353, by Tweakstone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cool, thanks for that video. I think I'll have to dig out my permedia II for some gaming 😁 I did't remember that it does that well most of the time. Espescially NFS5 is pretty impressive (although I still prefer to play that on my V5 xD ).

Reply 347 of 353, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It has enough cpu behind it to help in fps though with an athlon xp at 1.4 ghz.

I want to compare the permedia 2 and the matrox g100 later, both being work-oriented cards and all. Not much of a comparison in opengl but it might be mildly interesting in other ways. About nfs 5 specifically, from what I recall the g100 couldn't even launch it, don't see why it wouldn't though.

Reply 348 of 353, by Tweakstone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok that should be sufficient on the CPU side 😉
I think in a comparison between G100 und Permedia the G100 will lose drastically. If I recall correctly all the 3D Features are crippled, even a Mystique is more "advanced". But nonetheless I'm looking forward to this test, it's been ages that I messed around with that card.

Reply 349 of 353, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Capture of the matrox g100 with the permedia 2 as a reference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lom2RGNhSaY.

The permedia 2 is more compatible, the g100 has a cleaner output. If the video processes 1440p one day you may appreciate the difference better. Mipmaps are an issue for the g100. The stippling obviously, though this can be tolerable if the game was made well, e.g. darkstone.

Reply 351 of 353, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Matrox mystique (first model) with reference to the matrox g100. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG-ehwmlLWc.

Someone took the time to improve the mystique's stippling pattern for the g100. Both cards have the same quaint wobbly geometry (cf. vs the permedia 2 in the previous video).

Reply 352 of 353, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think what hurts the G100 most is the terrible LOD bias calculation for the mipmapping. There's times where you'll encounter a model's half in a lowest mip level with the other half at the highest mip level directly in front of you.

The alpha stippling is really cool in places though! Gives a quasi-Model2 feel to some games. The performance isn't too bad for what it is either.

Attachments

• midtown.png
    Filename
    midtown.png
    File size
    165.4 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • oa3.png
    Filename
    oa3.png
    File size
    50.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • nerf.png
    Filename
    nerf.png
    File size
    148.37 KiB
    Views
    File license

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 353 of 353, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the internet is too readily focusing on the g100's gauche elements. Fact is high quality 2d and unique 3d make a good combination and there are indeed 3d games where the card does well visually.