VOGONS

First post, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I picked up an S3 Trio 64v2 yesterday and finally got around to playing with it today.
Unfortunately on my LCD monitor it appears awfully grainy and gray compared to the background and the G200 I had in there before.

Is this normal?

Also: Yes, I am insane for swapping a G200 with an S3 Trio.

(Terrible) Picture here:
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1844/s3trio.jpg

Reply 2 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My Millennium G200 starts getting fuzzy at around 1152x864x85Hz. My Mystique 220 isn't so hot either. Matrox was overrated my friend.

Note that I do have all of their boards up to G400 Max. I can't tell the difference in 2D speed / quality between a good TNT2 or a Voodoo3. And the 3D of the other cards is more likely to work properly (particularly the Voodoo3).

Reply 4 of 10, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It looks a little better with some monitor adjustment, I guess it wasn't an issue in the CRT days.
I just remember reading that S3 cards were better in DOS but maybe it won't matter in the end.

I do know that the G200 has the keen scrolling problem though.

Reply 5 of 10, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

I can't tell the difference in 2D speed / quality between a good TNT2 or a Voodoo3. And the 3D of the other cards is more likely to work properly (particularly the Voodoo3).

Matrox and 3Dfx (Banshee or better) had noticeably better 2D quality than the competition. ATI was next, S3 was decent and NVidia was the worst. This has been echoed many times during those years and this fact is easily searched on the Internet. If you can't tell the difference, something else is wrong.

Reply 7 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
valnar wrote:

Matrox and 3Dfx (Banshee or better) had noticeably better 2D quality than the competition. ATI was next, S3 was decent and NVidia was the worst. This has been echoed many times during those years and this fact is easily searched on the Internet. If you can't tell the difference, something else is wrong.

Yeah I was there too, and now I have just about all of the cards.

NVIDIA cards vary wildly. Some are terrible, others are excellent. I've seen both sides. They had quality control problems with their card manufacturers.

Last edited by swaaye on 2010-11-12, 03:58. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 8 of 10, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oooohhhh the plot thickens!
The Win98 startup screen often has corrupt colours. And by often I mean twice since that's only how many times I've booted since.