VOGONS

Christmas closing in, wich parts should I get?

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 88, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea...

Wondering which games are most recent, don't support midi and have rather complex music.

I'm guilty of doing the same thing, having used Monkey Island 2 for comparing FM music although the game supports MT-32...

Reply 81 of 88, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

PS: Is there a demo of this game available? Curious about that PCM bug you found on the AWE64...

I'm not sure if there's a demo of the floppy disk edition of X-Wing. Whenever I look for the game, I only find the full version. But here's a clip of my AWE64 working with my OPTi 82C929A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBBuGc-OkAs

The AWE64 produces the PCM and the 82C929A produces the FM Synthesis. If you watch long enough, you'll notice the PCM stops, as the sound of the lasers being fired will be produced in FM Synthesis rather than PCM and I have to pause and unpause the game to get the PCM back.

This bug also affects my SoundBlaster 16 WavEffects model CT4170, although it seems a little less prone to it, but it can happen. Never had this "stuck PCM" bug occur on any sound card.

Reply 83 of 88, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only conflict with this old setup(I'm now using just the 82C929A - I would have used a SoundBlaster Pro 2.0, but I can no longer get it to work with the SoundBlaster sound option in X-Wing no matter what computer I plug it into. What the hell did I do to this thing? Ever since I tried a dual setup with the SoundBlaster Pro 2.0 and the SoundBlaster AWE64, the SoundBlaster Pro 2.0 has stopped working with the SoundBlaster sound option in X-Wing) was address range 388, the AdLib port(don't worry, I know you need different base addresses, IRQs and DMAs for each sound card). With the Windows 95 drivers for the OPTi 82C929A, you MUST cause a conflict at I/O range 388 with another ISA sound card in order to get any sound using the SoundBlaster sound option in X-Wing. Using just the DOS drivers, the 82C929A works perfectly with X-Wing using both the AdLib and SoundBlaster sound options(but I need to use a CPU slowdown tool since the slowest working computer I have runs on a 266MHz Pentium II - the YMF262 does not like CPUs faster than 133MHz and will output garbage when playing the floppy disk edition of X-Wing on a CPU faster than that).

But this bug also happens when the SoundBlaster AWE64 is used by itself. Here it is playing X-Wing using the General MIDI with SoundBlaster sound option(NOTE: turn the volume down, as X-Wing doesn't sound very good with the AWE64's default soundfont - I don't have a RAM module for my AWE64, so I can't load any soundfonts bigger than 512KB since I have an AWE64 Value): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdoB-IKHHc4

The PCM at one point just stops working until I pause and unpause the game, same like when the AWE64 and 82C929A were working together.

Even my SoundBlaster 16 WavEffects model CT4170 suffers from the same bug, and this is using just the SoundBlaster 16 WavEffects.

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 84 of 88, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
unmei220 wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:

Thanks! 😀

Just be patient as him doesn't seem to reply too fast.

I have just received an email notification from this seller, telling me that the AWE64 memory adapter has been shipped! I'm really looking forward to comparing an AWE32 with 2x 16MB 30-pin SIMMs, with an AWE64 with 1x 32MB 72-pin DIMM. 😀

Reply 85 of 88, by unmei220

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Glad to hear that ! I just received it myself the past Saturday morning. It was shipped on the 18th, so it only took one week plus some days to reach here. 😁 It works good, but remember that it'll only work with SIMM memory. I remark that because I read that you said DIMM memory. The page says that it'll work with 60ns or faster SIMM memory, but I have been using it fine with 70ns memory. It says that with lower speed memory, you'll hear pops and clicks from the midi music, but I haven't had any of that, at least myself.

Reply 88 of 88, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Svenne wrote:

One thing that just came to my mind, is the Yamaha card SB 16 compatible?

The Yamaha OPL3-Sax (ISA card with YMF715/YMF718/YMF719 Chip) is Soundblaster Pro and WSS compatible. It has Genuine OPL3 FM, and a working MPU-401 at the gameport or at the waveblaster header. WSS compatibility is not flawless IIRC.

The Yamaha DS-XG (PCI card with YMF724/YMF744/YMF754 Chip) is Soundblaster Pro compatible. Preferably with a SB-Link cable. It has Genuine OPL3 FM, and a working MPU-401 at the gameport. In windows 9X one can use the XG wavetable for Dos games.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul