VOGONS

First post, by beepfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What would be a fast cpu/board with an ISA slot that is also windows 98 compatible? An agp slot would be nice but not imperative.

Would I be looking at a p3 system?

Reply 1 of 28, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, you're probably looking at a 440BX board. The two main ones that come to mind are the Intel SR440BX and the Shuttle HOT-675, but I'm sure there are others. Word of warning, though... be careful of mATX Socket 370 boards. Many of those were locked-down, OEM, Celeron-only deals.

There may also be some early Socket A boards in that configuration, but I don't know of any model in particular, and it'd probably be pretty hard to find one.

Reply 4 of 28, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks to be a pretty good one. It appears to even support Tualatins.

Chaintech boards used to be some of my favorites... not usually top-end stuff, but good value for the money and pretty reliable on the whole.

Reply 7 of 28, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
valnar wrote:

That Chaintech is a VIA. Good luck.

Yup, but it even works with Tualatins, has an AGP 4x slot and it's got ISA 😉

I fail to see how that counteracts the Via 686B southbridge in any way. 😜

Reply 8 of 28, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Whats wrong with that southbridge anyway?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 28, by beepfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Motherboard has arrived, got it installed into the case but... no manual of course, and I cannot see how to connect it to the case switch. The board doesn't have anything helpful silkscreened onto it near what I am guessing are the pins for the power switch and led's. All it says is things like R20, R21 and so on. 😢

Searching for chaintech is turning up nothing useful: they seem to have merged into Wilton Chaintech and the new website provides no evident downloads for legacy products. Mobokive dowsn't have anything for this board, and the downloads for some of the boards with similar numbers don't work for me [corrupt or non-existent files].

Does anybody know where I might find a manual for a Chaintech 6VIA5T? Or any way I can work this out without damaging the board? It's 2 parallel rows of 9 pins with one of the pins "missing" in one row, so 17 pins in all.

Reply 12 of 28, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh, I was just about to post that same diagram. I found it just looking with a generic search for "Chaintech front panel pinout". It was in a manual for one of their S478 boards.

Oh, and for future reference, a trial-and-error method won't really hurt anything, worst case. I've had boards where I just had to plug the wires in at random until I found something that worked.

Reply 13 of 28, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
beepfish wrote:

That was quick! Many many thanks, but can I ask where you found it?

I have the full manual. Do you want it? If so, PM me with your email so i can send to you.

Reply 14 of 28, by beepfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Heh, I was just about to post that same diagram. I found it just looking with a generic search for "Chaintech front panel pinout". It was in a manual for one of their S478 boards.

Oh, and for future reference, a trial-and-error method won't really hurt anything, worst case. I've had boards where I just had to plug the wires in at random until I found something that worked.

Thanks, that's good to know - I had been assuming it could kill the board if I did something wrong!

sprcorreia wrote:

I have the full manual. Do you want it? If so, PM me with your email so i can send to you.

PM on its way!

Reply 16 of 28, by beepfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sprcorreia wrote:

Manual sent. Please check your email.

Great, I've got it - thanks again 😁.

So far the installation seems fine - I hacked the NEC case connector apart and fitted the wires on individually. System boots ok, I've installed 98SE and the only devices not found are the graphics and network cards, and onboard sound which I may be disabling anyway.

If anybody wants the old 3-pci-only, micro-atx p4 motherboard for the cost of postage, let me know. 🤣

Reply 17 of 28, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
beepfish wrote:

If anybody wants the old 3-pci-only, micro-atx p4 motherboard for the cost of postage, let me know. 🤣

Where are you from? What's the board model?

Reply 19 of 28, by beepfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One thing I have found a bit irksome with that chaintech board is the positioning of the front panel pinout right behind the isa slot. Will have to work out a means of connecting the on/off switch horizontally or I'm limited to cards no longer than the slot.

I did wonder about using wake-on-lan instead, as the mainboard and the nic have that functionality; even got the little cable. Not ideal having to boot it from another box but it's quite cool in a way.