VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well.... I hit a wall on my win98SE pc 😵

I use a 200GB IDE HDD with it... BIOS sees it OK (it is a tualatin asus mobo) but naturally FAT32 with it's normal tools cannot format such a big drive as one partition... So I used FAT32 Formatter ( http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter ) , formatted on my win7 pc and installed win98SE on the tualatin one... installation/use was OK until today... it seems I reached some sort of file limit (???!!!!??) as I had directory files just disappear on me and scandisk "fixing" them...

forgot to mention, 98SE was updated with IE6.0 and the unofficial service pack too...

I know that FAT32 is not supposed to go that high but I (like many others) successfully use large drives (way larger than 200gb too) with consoles/etc that need FAT32 filesystem.... is this a 98SE problem? anyone has any experience on the matter?
Any info is welcome, thanks! 😊

Last edited by keropi on 2010-11-23, 12:47. Edited 1 time in total.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 16, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 98 can't use disks bigger than 137 GB. A fix can be found here: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=78592

Intel C2D 2.8 GHz @ 3.0 GHz | ASUS P5KPL | ASUS GTS250 1 GB | 4GB DDR2-800 | 500 GB SATA | Win 7 Pro/Ubuntu 9.10

Reply 2 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thanks Svenne, I had no idea...! I thought the unofficial service pack 2.1a would fix that... will try again...

in case anyone needs it, for win98SE there is this package:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/BHDD31.ZIP

made by MDGX 😊 and it includes the fixes for proper >137GB HDD support...

thanks for the pointer Svenne!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 16, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For future reference, I'd recommend hunting down a copy of Autopatcher 98. I use that in combo with the SP 2.1a (or, more recently, 3.0 beta)... it's a much more complete solution than the service pack alone.

Reply 5 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

allright I located them files 😀

so is it safe to install 1. the ide patch, then the 3.0beta sp and then autopatcher and update???
too much updates.... :x

Reply 6 of 16, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well you could also just not use a 200GB partition! 😁 I usually just go with a 20GB partition for Windows and another partition for storage. In 2000 I think I had a 15GB total hdd space...

Also, if scandisk needs to run, it's faster on smaller partitions.

Last edited by swaaye on 2010-11-23, 20:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

no can't do! 😜
seriously, all that space is to have isos of my own collection , in many cases I just downloaded the "scene" releases... why you might ask? because my precious originals are stored safely 😁
a big hdd is a must nowdays, since the 200GB I am using now is peanuts for todays standards but HUGE for our retro-gaming 😁

Reply 8 of 16, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tend to use network storage to access ISOs. FAT32 filesystems being accessed by Win9x are not a great place to store things you don't want trashed. I just had to format my Windows 98 partition last night because I started getting a mysterious BSOD on boot up, surely caused by some system file being corrupted during one of the many random driver/game related lockups recently. Fun w/ Win98! 😁

Last edited by swaaye on 2010-11-23, 20:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

allright I located them files 😀

so is it safe to install 1. the ide patch, then the 3.0beta sp and then autopatcher and update???
too much updates.... :x

MSFN has a guide on the proper installation. If you can't find it then just start a new topic and ask.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 16, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's probably safe to do it that way, but... Autopatcher includes the IDE update. I think it might be deselected by default, but it's there, along with pretty much every other update you could need. I usually go: fresh install -> Autopatcher -> service pack -> done.

Reply 11 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

from what I read you must actually replace the ide driver in the 1st reboot win98 does during it's install... you insert a bootable diskette to prevent hd boot and you manually replace....

Reply 12 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

since I got no replies as of now in the MSFN forum, I am gonna go ahead and replace the driver in the 1st boot... seems the logical thing to do 🤣 and then just run autopatcher...

Reply 13 of 16, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hm, you could be right. I've never actually tried running 98SE on a large hard drive, so I'm not sure on all the details. I know Autopatcher does include the LBA update, but I'm not sure if it's implemented in such a way that you could properly boot from a large drive.

Reply 14 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes it can be used to boot/use large drives... the key to higher success is to manually update the driver on the 1st boot of the windows installation...
I have installed win98SE and 48bit support, autopatcer etc and so far so good.... though all those updates (ie, xml, media player etc) seem a bit of an overkill for a gaming 98se pc... 🤣

Reply 15 of 16, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can deselect the updates you don't want. It takes a bit of effort to go through all the menus and choose everything to your liking, but at least you can save the configuration for future installs. It's still better than hunting down a dozen different update packages.

Reply 16 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes, ofcourse it is better than individual packages ... those packages are intended to make a win98se installation usable with the latest updates, I did not mean to say they are bad (on the contrary!) - just without importance for a retro-gaming system 😁
I have seen the selection menu, but being lazy I just auto-updated 😁 😁 😁