VOGONS

First post, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was digging through my sound cards and found a CT2900. On the back it has a sticker saying V16SALT. It has a Vibra 16S chipset.

Interesting thing about this is that it appears to have a real OPL chip. But not an OPL3 or 4 as far as I know. The OPL is a YMF289B-S and there is also a Yamaha YAC516-E which I think is an amplifier. Is this a 'real' OPL or is it crippled in some way?

I can't find much info on the net about it. I've read a few threads here saying the Vibra CT2800 is a good card because it has a real YMF262 OPL3 and is much cleaner/quieter than the original SB16's. Is this CT2900 card any good?

Reply 1 of 4, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Datasheet YMF289B / OPL3-L /OPL3 Low Voltage version
YMF289B (OPL3-L) is a synthesizer chip developed specially for note PC, PCMCIA (type II) card. YMF289B is compatible with YMF262 which is de facto standard in sound card market. Special functions (power down mode, 3.3V power supply and etc.) are newly featured.

And since the chip is a Vibra16S like the CT2800, your card is practically identical to the ct2800.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 3 of 4, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is one odd SoundBlaster 16, let me tell you. Since when does a sound card use a YMF289? I never even heard of that chip! *searches for information*

EDIT: It's a YMF262 in a different form factor and running at a lower voltage. So what you have on that SoundBlaster 16 is genuine OPL3. That sound card's a keeper. 😀

EDIT 2: Damn it, didn't notice Gerwin beat me to it.

Reply 4 of 4, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣..

yeah I've been using it and it seems pretty good, sounds like I expect it too... strange thing this is though if I got into win 3.11 and exit it seems to kill the sound for some reason? The card won't make any noise until I restart the PC. Even if I run diagnose and ctmixer. Using the drivers from creative's site.

The other funny thing is that this appears to be a PnP card (no jumpers) but CTCM won't pick it up...