VOGONS

First post, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i've seem some documents saying, that if a socket7 board has 512kb on board cache, it can only cache for up to 128mb of ram.
is this limitation true? and does it mean when cpu access memory above 128mb it won't be cached, and will show a large slowdown?
if things do work in this way it would be a real pain in my ass, because i love ali5 boards which have far better memory performance than mvp3 boards, unfortunately most ali5 boards has only 512kb of on board cache. 😳

Reply 1 of 34, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's kinda true. Some ali chipsets were bugged so they could cache only 128MB and some not I think (can't check myself, all my ali boards are with the older version)
Anyway, you can work around this by installing a cpu which has it's own L2 cache. These are all AMD cpu's:
K6-3
K6-2+ and
K6-3+.

Use any of these 3 and you got no cacheable area limits anymore 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 34, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It depends on the chipset, but yes, Aladdin V boards will only cache 128MB RAM with 512K L2. And yes, performance will suck if you install more than 128MB, especially since Windows tends to use the highest memory addresses first.

The good news is, there's an easy way around all that. The K6-2+, K6-III and K6-III+ chips have on-die L2 and aren't affected by the cacheable area of the chipset. The motherboard cache can then either be disabled or used as L3 cache. The only trouble is, some boards won't work properly with the '+' series chips.

Reply 3 of 34, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

K6+ mobo support "guide" 😀
http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

When these CPUs are used some people disable the mobo L2 because it is almost always an impediment to FSB overclocking and it barely affects system performance when the on-die L2 is present.

Reply 4 of 34, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thanks guyz. yes i can find a k6-2+(k6-3+ is damn rare here), and the board i can most possibly find is gigabyte 5ax, which seems to have no reports of trouble with k6-2+/k6-3+.
the question is, how much difference does the on board cache(now works as L3) make when i install a k6-2+? and if i plug 256mb of ram, will the performance be INCONSISTENT(sometimes fast and sometimes slow)?

Reply 5 of 34, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Take a look at this benchmark from one of my Super Socket 7 boards:

I have heard that there are boards with 2MB L3 cache which can cache more than 128MB, however take a look at the memory throughput for L2 vs L3 cache!

L3 cache is 2x Ram throughput, whereas L2 cache is 10x that. So once you have a K6 with L2 cache onboard, the amount of L3 is quite insignificant...

I noticed that both my boards give me the occasional "read error, press r to retry" DOS message. It's not a big deal, but I wonder why that is. I use CF cards which work 100% on a Slot 1 system. I tried different IDE controller BIOS options but not much luck.

Haven't yet tested a spindle HDD however. My issue might be isolated to CF. My Iwill board also forgets the BIOS settings although the battery I have is good (works fine on the Slot 1 system). Not sure if there are different batteries for diffferent boards? It's the typical silver button battery which goes into the black holder.

k62plus550.png

iwillk6.png

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977 on 2010-11-26, 22:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 34, by unmei220

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

According to my old notes:

Cacheable area.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ALi IV/IV+

One 8-Bit TAG-RAM: 64 MB
Two 8-Bit TAG-RAMs: 512 MB
One 10-Bit TAG-Ram: 256 MB
One 11-Bit TAG-Ram: 512 MB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ALi V

256 kB 2nd-LC - 256 MB
512 kB 2nd-LC - 512 MB

This chipset can also use the external TAG-Ram additional to the internal to extend the area even furthermore (needing more cache memory too), but with this setup, the chipset cannot run 100 MHz anymore.
On early revisions (at least up to Rev. E) the internal TAG-RAM did not work correct. It was disabled and an external TAG-RAM was used instead (at full speed).

ALi 7

This chipset does not contain an interface for an onboard L2-cache.
Boards based on this chipset will not carry any L2-cache.
Either get a L2-equipped CPU or install at least two equal SDRam-Sticks, because the chipset can interleave memory access between them and will run faster.

Reply 8 of 34, by unmei220

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

5u3, can you run cachechk or ctcm7 program with another CPU (without L2 cache on-die) on that board to confirm that Aladdin5 can really cache well above 128MB ?

EDIT: forgot the "with another CPU" bit.

Reply 10 of 34, by unmei220

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great, thanks! if you find it, first run ctcm7 and if it works ok (is not happy on certain boards), it'll tell you directly if all the 256mb are cached or not.
I'm attaching the programs, in case you or someone still doesn't have tham.

Attachments

• Filename
    CACHCHK7.ZIP
    File size
    52.36 KiB
    Downloads
    327 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    ctcm17a.zip
    File size
    97.59 KiB
    Downloads
    333 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 34, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On my Asus P5A rev. 1.04 (Aladdin rev. E, 512k) the board only caches 128MB.

I have another P5A rev 1.06 with a newer Aladdin revision and 1MB cache, which should be able to cache 512 MB. Unfortunately this board is incompatible with the K6+ chips.

Reply 14 of 34, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mainboard: GA-5AX, revision 5.2
CPU: AMD K6-2 (not + model) 300MHz
Chipset: Aladdin5
BIOS: F4 (latest)
RAM installed: 1 stick of PC-133 256MB

CTCM17A
PICT1717.JPG
PICT1718.JPG

CACHCHK7
PICT1720.JPG

Edit: Speedsys added. I wonder why external clock says 66 MHz? It should say 100 MHz.
ALI.jpg

Last edited by retro games 100 on 2010-11-27, 11:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 34, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
noshutdown wrote:

is this limitation due to the chipset or mainboard design? or in other words, are all ali5 boards in the same way?

I think it's the motherboard and not the chipset, seeing that afaik only this particular ASUS board has this problem. I've been wondering as to why this board has this problem myself. Last I recall is I don't own any boards with the later ali chipset so I can't check for myself.

If you want any further reading, I'd suggest browsing through the k6+ forums. Theres quite a lot of practical info to find over there.
Link: http://www.k6plus.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2

Reply 16 of 34, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mainboard: Asus P5A rev. 1.06
CPU: Intel Pentium MMX, 233 MHz
Chipset: Aladdin5, rev. unknown, because its under a glued heatsink. 😒 Probably rev. G
BIOS: 1011 Beta 005
RAM installed: 3x 256MB PC133

PROZESSOR- und CACHE-INFO    c't 01/00/ Andreas Stiller V1.7a

Prozessor Timing : Pentium,Pentium-MMX
Prozessor CPUID : GenuineIntel Typ=00 Fam=05 Mod=04 Rev=03 Feat=008001BF
Prozessor Name : Pentium-MMX
Aktueller Takt : 300.652 MHz, gemäß Pentium Timer:300.699 MHz
Primär-Cache (L1) : 16 KByte,4fach assoziativ
Sekundär-Cache (L2) : 1024 KByte,direct mapped
Code Cache (L1) : 16 KByte,4fach assoziativ
Hauptspeicher : 768 MByte, keine Memory holes gefunden
Cacheable Area L1 : 768 MByte, keine noncacheable Areas gefunden
Cacheable Area L2 : 768 MByte, keine noncacheable Areas gefunden
Write Strategie L1 : Write Back, no Write Allocation, linear Fill,Pseudo-LRU
Write Strategie L2 : Write Back, No Write Allocation, no L2 Flush (wbinvd)
Dirty Tag L2 : ok

Datenfluá- und Bus Performance (Hauptspeicher: 00110000h)

Transfer in 4 GByte Real Mode, no paging, via CPU Integer Unit
Beste Zeit für 16K MOVSD Cache/Page Hit : 13.6 µs =>1202.8 MByte/s
mittlere für " 16K MOVSD (Miss + Hit) : 151.9 µs => 107.8 MByte/s
mittlere für " 16K MOVSD (L2 clean) : 199.8 µs => 82.0 MByte/s
mittlere für " 16K MOVSD (L2 dirty) : 216.5 µs => 75.7 MByte/s
schlechteste " 16K MOVSD (misses) : 221.0 µs => 74.1 MByte/s
via FPU 16K FMOVI (misses) : 185.3 µs => 88.4 MByte/s
via MMX 16K MMOVI (misses) : 166.2 µs => 98.6 MByte/s
Blocktransfer 4M MOVSD (misses) : 51.5 ms => 81.4 MByte/s

im Mittel bei 1024 KB L2-Cache /DOS (640K) : 137.8 µs => 118.9 MByte/s
im Mittel bei 1024 KB L2-Cache /Win (4M ) : 165.5 µs => 99.0 MByte/s

Well, what about that? With 1MB and the right revision, Aladdin5 caches the full 768MB! 😀

Reply 17 of 34, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

5u3, please can you tell me -

a) how do I determine the chipset revision number, for my GA-5AX mobo? Both of the Alladin5 chipset chips do not have heatsinks on them. One is marked A1, and the other is marked B1.

b) how did you obtain the results output from CTCM17A, in order to produce your "code text block" for your Vogons post?

Thanks a lot! 😀

Edit:

5u3 wrote:

Well, what about that? With 1MB and the right revision, Aladdin5 caches the full 768MB! 😀

The ebay price on an Asus P5A rev. 1.06 has risen by about 10 euros! 😉 🤣

Reply 18 of 34, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yeah but the asus p5a seems to suck with k6-2+/k6-3+ cpus... and ali5 boards with 1mb is damn rare to find, what most possibly for me to find is gigabyte 5ax which has only 512k...
can you compare and find how much difference between enabled and disabled onboard cache for a k6-2+/k6-3+ cpu? superpi for example, with 128mb of ram.

Reply 19 of 34, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The fact that with Slot 1 onwards all Cache was on the CPU and mainboard cache got out the window speaks volumes I believe...

128kb L2 cache is massive. Modern Sempron 64s came with 128kb cache...

In a nutshell once you have a 2+ or 3+ it doesn't matter how much L3 cache you have. So I would focus on finding a 2+ or 3+ cpu and a board that supports it.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel