VOGONS

Reply 21 of 30, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

They don't exist because there is no way to disable the onboard devices to make room for them.

So the best guess would be to use a USB mouse with a PCI adapter. Not really the best option for a 486 though 🙁

Reply 23 of 30, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

I am going to buy a PS/2 to serial adapter, and see if my PS/2 mice work OK using a serial port on a 486 mobo.

I once tested all my PS/2 mice on such an adapter, most did not work but fortunately one with a scrollwheel did. I tested by plugging them in a 486 board using that ami windows BIOS, instant load and no stuff with windows booting, installing drivers. I'm not sure if it's the best idea but anyhow, it's the fastest I could think of 😉

Reply 25 of 30, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There were specific mice that would work with an adapter like this. Especially the Microsoft mice, have written underneath what type of connection they support. Some have serial, some ps/2, but there are some that support both. These are 100% compatible with that adapter.

Edit : Some time ago, I was in the same position, searching for ps/2 to serial adapters. I bought a few, but they don't work with most mice. Actually with none of the mice I owned at the time. So then I started searching for serial mice on ebay. I found this one : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PC-Two-2-Button-Serial- … =item2eb10eaf7f . It's really nice, if you're not interested in having more than two buttons or a scroll wheel, and I think it's a fair price. And they're new, indeed.

Reply 27 of 30, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retro games 100 wrote:
I ordered this thing. It was cheap. I've got a couple of scroll wheel PS/2 optical mice. Will let you know how I get on with […]
Show full quote

I ordered this thing. It was cheap. I've got a couple of scroll wheel PS/2 optical mice. Will let you know how I get on with it, sometime next week. 😀

ps2serial.jpg

It didn't work. I tried it on a socket 7 mobo, with SIX different PS/2 optical mice. Ctmouse.exe couldn't see any of them.

Reply 29 of 30, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's more likely the optical mice don't have support for a serial connection.
All those adapters do is to make it possible to attach a PS/2 mouse electronically, but it doesn't mean the hardware will actually work in serial.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!