VOGONS

fastest chipset for 486?

Topic actions

First post, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

its unlikely for me to assemble a 486 platform again, because i am too lazy to pick up a grandpa AT power supply.
AFAIK there are intel, via, sis, ali, opti and more chipsets in the 486 age, which one supports the highest fsb?
still, my ideal 486 is amd5x86-133 oc to 50*4, or even better, 66*3 if the board can support this. how fast will it run quake2(either in soft mode or use a pci mx400)?

Reply 1 of 33, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can use an ATX PSU with a 486. You'll need an AT to ATX PSU adapter. They can be found on ebay. Regarding the highest FSB, Vogons user Tetrium posted the following message about an Elitegroup UM8810P-AIO rev 1.0 mobo running at 66 FSB:

Test:486 undocumented jumper settings (first post)

Also, Vogons user BastlerMike posted a message about a Shuttle-HOT433-UMC8881 running at 60 x 3 = 180:

3DBENCH CPU Benchmark Database (2/3rds way down)

Reply 2 of 33, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
noshutdown wrote:

still, my ideal 486 is amd5x86-133 oc to 50*4, or even better, 66*3 if the board can support this. how fast will it run quake2(either in soft mode or use a pci mx400)?

Around 10-15fps. Quake2 actually runs better than Quake on the 486 due to the less precise and strict timer.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 33, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Instead of going for a fast and over clocked 486, why not go for a slow Pentium?

I have 2 Super Socket 7 boards which are ATX, use ATX PUSs, have button batteries, latest BIOS directly from the manufacturers website, documentation for every jumper, PS/2 ports and even USB!

Slowest Chip I had running was a Pentium 100 which should be similar to an overclocked 486 133...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Theres also the Pentium Overdrive, it'll fit in Socket 3 and has great FPU performance.

I think you can forget about running any 486 motherboard at 66Mhz, afaik it's never been tried

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 33, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember experimenting with a 486/133, and using the need for speed 1, and having and s3 trio 64 pci card, it wouldn't run fast enough,even with the cpu overclocked to 160MHz. After that I tried with a pentium 75Mhz, and even with a simple Cirrus Logic 1MB card it would run great. So for me the "P75"486/133 is not even close to a real 75MHz pentium. The pentium is much more powerful. Except from the higher fsb, it has two integer units instead of one like the 486.

Reply 6 of 33, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Markk wrote:

I remember experimenting with a 486/133, and using the need for speed 1, and having and s3 trio 64 pci card, it wouldn't run fast enough

Did you press the turbo button? NFS runs great on my 486 with the same card.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 33, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yes, I did. It was playable, and certainly way better than a dx2/66 with CL VL-BUS card I tried before, but the movement was worse compared to the pentium.

Reply 8 of 33, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

Theres also the Pentium Overdrive, it'll fit in Socket 3 and has great FPU performance.

I think you can forget about running any 486 motherboard at 66Mhz, afaik it's never been tried

I think that is the perfect reason to try it, not before adding a heatsink to the chipset though.

Reply 9 of 33, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea my memory is a bit fuzzy. I had a DX4-100 as a kid and the next upgrade was a Pentium 133.

Didn't AMD mark these CPUs with a "Pentium 70" equivalent or something like that?

My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Yea my memory is a bit fuzzy. I had a DX4-100 as a kid and the next upgrade was a Pentium 133.

Didn't AMD mark these CPUs with a "Pentium 70" equivalent or something like that?

Yep, the 5x86-133 was the P75.
http://www.x86-guide.com/en/cpu/AMD-5x86-P75- … -cpu-no840.html

Reply 11 of 33, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Markk wrote:

yes, I did. It was playable, and certainly way better than a dx2/66 with CL VL-BUS card I tried before, but the movement was worse compared to the pentium.

Impossible! NFS has a framerate cap and my 486 meets it fine. I don't know what's up with yours though

Does 3DBENCH on yours report a number of 71.4? Mine does.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 12 of 33, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NFS was SVGA wasn't it? I seem to remember that on my P133 (as a kid) I got better performance when overclocked to 166...

My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 33, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Vendor lock-in sucks

Not sure what that means...

I did a quick run of the Demo and it doesn't look like VGA to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh5jtEc39sU

So I believe it's possible that this game struggles on a 486 to be honest.

You can find VGA game recordings on my YouTube channel if you like to compare them.

I struggled with the details setting (F2 key). Took me a while to get the setting for max. details but in the end the game is max. details 🤣

EDIT: Just checked and the game won't launch with a non VESA card (or "just" VGA card)

Reply 16 of 33, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Vendor lock-in sucks

Not sure what that means...

It'll only allow SVGA for Pentium or better, even if you have an armed-to-the-teeth-and-overclocked 486.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 17 of 33, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh I see! So it checks if you have a Pentium chip inside...

Interesting! The readme does state min. 486DX2-66 so surely a 5x86-133 should easily run this game in VGA...

Just tried in DOSBox with 35000 cpu cycles:

3bench score: 83.8

CPU mode: Slow 486

NFS has SVGA title screens, but dashboard is VGA. Game plays well

CPU mode: Slow Pentium

NFS has SVGA title screens and dashboard. Game lags. 100000 CPU cycles and it's super smooth.

Reply 19 of 33, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well it confirms that the game is less demanding / simpler graphics when it doesn't detect a Pentium and more demanding / better graphics...

What would happen with a Cyrix or AMD K6? Would it load up like on a 486?