VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

(Edit: Solved - details in post #8.) Clean Win98SE install, then unofficial SP 2.1a. ZS hardware + all software installed. Changed over to VxD drivers. Tried remote control, no response. The remote is configured OK, inside Creative Media Source. I've tried 2 remotes (RM-1500 models), and fresh batteries. I've even swapped out the front ZS panel for a different (previously tested OK) one. At this point, I haven't tried -

Change sound card itself
Change the connecting panel cable
Change PCI slot
Revert back to WDM drivers

Any ideas please people? Thanks.

Last edited by retro games 100 on 2010-11-28, 09:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

is the remote even working rg100? try this old trick:
open your cellphone camera , point the IR transmitter to it and press a button... if the remote is working you will see on your cellphone screen a bueish/purpleish light (the camera can "see" the IR light that the human eye can't)

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 10, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Honestly, I haven't got a cell phone with a camera. 😦 Is there another way I check to see if the remotes are OK? Thanks. Actually, this is a bit mad, but I've got a small box of Creative remotes. I will dig them out, and try other models - you are allowed to configure different Creative remotes for the ZS hardware. I'll try that in the morning. One other possibility is that my new CR2025 coin/button batteries are not working. I got them from ebay, so they must be crap! 😉

Reply 3 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

what about a digital photo camera? web camera? they work too, anything with a digital screen+lens will work

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 10, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've just tried pointing both remotes at a web camera (no power to it - can it be switched off?), and I cannot see any light on the web camera's lens. Tomorrow, I will try some other remotes with some more batteries, and point them at the web camera. If any of them can pass this test, and I see a light on the web cam, then I'll try to operate the ZS hardware with the remote. Thanks.

Reply 5 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

you are not looking at the lens but at the output windows on your computer desktop right? the trick is to see through the camera's eye 🤣
just making sure you got it right (language gap is to blame)

Reply 6 of 10, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

🤣 What I'll do is grab a handful of remotes (that I know work OK), and try the web cam trick tomorrow, when my other PC with the web cam is actually running. I'll post back with the results! 😀

Reply 7 of 10, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Solved! I tried the following 3 things, in this order:

* Tried more remote controls. 8 of them in fact! 🤣 Result - failure.
* Tried a different sound card to front bay connecting panel cable. Result - failure.
* Reverted back to the WDM driver (from VxD), using the Creative driver utility configuration app. Result - success! 😀

I hope I can use the remote with the VxD driver, however. Perhaps you can't, I'm not sure at this stage...

Reply 9 of 10, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
static- wrote on 2022-04-24, 00:19:

Just wanted to confirm that the remote control doesn't seem to work with VXD drivers, but does with WDM driver. Verified today with Windows 98se. Too bad!

On a similar note, I've noticed that the "CD Digital" slider is missing under Volume Control when using the VxD driver variety. It seems that testing VxD drivers wasn't a huge priority for Creative developers in 2003.

To clarify, I'm not talking about the ability of the card to pass CD audio over the IDE bus which is unique to WDM drivers. I'm referring to the physical connection from the CD-ROM drive to the Audigy2 ZS using a SPDIF cable.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 10 of 10, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can also confirm the remote not working with VXD drivers 🙁
(Haven't tried WDM drivers though..)

Audigy 2 ZS card, with a 5.25" front panel from a standard Audigy 2 and RM-1000W remote (verified with a camera), with Win98SE on a K6/2+ rig.
Analog audio out on the front panel works fine.

L.E.
Switched to WDM just for testing purposes, and now it works...
Such a shame 🙁