VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there one available, please? A Roland MPU-401AT is a small ISA card, used to host a wavetable daughterboard. That's all it does. I would like to adjust the volume, so that I can make a General Midi recording, using a Roland wavetable daughterboard, using the DOS game Descent. Thanks a lot for any advice.

Reply 1 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

since I have one too, I am highly interested if such a util exists!
(also you can use it to connect an external midi modyle like MT32, CM32-L, etc and gives you flawless roland compatibility, or connect both a GM daughterboard and a module, thus having an all-around-midi solution)

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 10, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, the all round midi solution is a strong feature. 😀 I am sure that other Vogons users have this card. Hopefully, one person will kindly offer to explain where the mixer can be found!

Reply 3 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think the MT401 AT has a mixer circuit.

However recording shouldn't be an issue as you can just set the recording level on your recording device.

In the line-in properties should be a slider from 1 to 99. At least that's what I have on my windows 7 machine. There should be a similar setting under XP under Control Panel > Sound > Recording devices.

In Audacity you will get a input level. Set the recording level so the volume doesn't clip (the bar shouldn't go all the way to the right)

Now there is another way which involves sending sysex midi commands to the midi device to reduce volume. But this really shouldn't be needed at all 😀

Reply 4 of 10, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK thanks a lot! I have been able to increase the output volume. I removed the RCA cabling from the red and white ports, and connected a cable to the headphone jack instead. That cable goes to my recording PC. The sound level is much higher now. 😀

Reply 5 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea the headphone out port is amplified!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 10, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know little about these Roland MPU-401AT cards (short of their basic purpose), but how does one "get" the sound from the daughterboard to your computer speakers?

On an SB16/AWE32 with a wavetable header connector, the audio is piped to the sound card's internal/onboard mixer/audio bus via several pins in the connector. But, in the instance of connecting a DB to the Roland MPU-401AT, how does the audio get transfered/sent?

If the card included line output jacks (that would normally be fed to an external amplifier, or the line input of your sound card), I have a good hunch that it's strictly a line-level signal... in other words, the Roland MPU-401AT contains no amplifer or pre-amp. AFAIK, in that case, there prolly would be no way to control the connected DB's volume via software.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 7 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It has mini-in, midi-out, 2 RCAs and 1 headphone plug at the back. According to RG100 the signal through the headphone plug is much stronger...

Reply 8 of 10, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

It has mini-in, midi-out, 2 RCAs and 1 headphone plug at the back. According to RG100 the signal through the headphone plug is much stronger...

Thanks for the info 😀 If the signal is in actuality higher coming out of the headphone jack, then there is the slim possibility that the card has some sort of amp (or pre-amp). If that's the case they just may have designed it to be software controlled, but I dunno.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 10 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I doubt there is any kind of software for MPU-401AT , my boxed one came with just a small manual and nothing more...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website