VOGONS

All Windows 95 updates?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's kinda true there maulwurf except that I play old games -because- I want to use my old rigs. If I hadn't had the old systems I would've never started playing those games in the first place! 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 21 of 26, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea that's true...

It's just that I noticed my time spent playing DOSBox games has been replaced with playing with DOS hardware 🤣

Likely because I'm still at the early stages. Once the hardware has been fully established and tested, games will follow...

Reply 22 of 26, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
HunterZ wrote:

Is there anything that will run in Win98SE but not Win95

I'm pretty sure theres lots of games (and other programs) that have 98SE as a min req.

Yes, but how many of those won't run on Vista/Win7 without problems? That was my question.

Reply 23 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HunterZ wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
HunterZ wrote:

Is there anything that will run in Win98SE but not Win95

I'm pretty sure theres lots of games (and other programs) that have 98SE as a min req.

Yes, but how many of those won't run on Vista/Win7 without problems? That was my question.

Woops, missed that 🤣!
I don't know but my guess is that number won't be very high.
Anyway with any computer using Vista or 7 I'd guess it would also be powerful enough to run anything in an emulator anyway.

Reply 25 of 26, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know this thread is kinda old, however it is kinda important to know where to get Win95 updates, especially for TCP/IP related updates, due to the nasty exploit the first version has in it. So even today, if you use Win95 + net, you NEED those updates.

For older machines, Win98 SE runs like a champ if you use 98 Lite. If you own a licensed copy of it [license only required if you want the 98 micro option, the other options are available in the free version], use 98 micro and you'll be completely IE free, as the 98 micro option completely strips Win98 SE of IE, it's html engine, and more from a clean install, it'll replace Win 98's IE based explorer with one from Win 95 [up to OSR2.1 ONLY... OSR2.5 is no good for this method as it included IE 4 integrated into it.]

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

For actually playing games I totally agree with you.

I actually see playing with real hardware, testing, overclocking, recording music and videos and such things as a totally different hobby.

If you are all about the games, then DOSBox is definitely the way to go!

You gotta admit DOSbox while does function decent just doesn't "seem right" nor as cool as actually playing on actual hardware. That's how it is for any type of emulation [in my humble opinion].

Reply 26 of 26, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Chaniyth wrote:

I know this thread is kinda old, however it is kinda important to know where to get Win95 updates, especially for TCP/IP related updates, due to the nasty exploit the first version has in it. So even today, if you use Win95 + net, you NEED those updates.

It's not as critical as you think. Basically everyone uses nowadays some security router between internet gateway (like DSL modem, cable modem etc.) and the internal network. And the internal network is usually private.

Of course if you start forwarding ports to server services on a Windows 95 system this may cause trouble someday. So if you like honeypots you could configure it that way...