VOGONS

Reply 20 of 28, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

update: I swapped my motherboard from a VL/I-486SV2G, with an SIS 85C471 chipset, over to a Mitac IH4077C with a UM82C491F chipset. Put the 2MB HP45 chips back in the ET4000 and it works perfectly, no issues in bio menace etc. so perhaps it was some sort of idiosyncrasy of the old motherboard? (I never was really a fan of SIS 😜 )

This board seems to be a good performer too. With a DX2/66 and 4x4MB 30pin FPM SIMMs I score 52.6 in 3Dbench which seems to be one of the fastest scores for a DX2/66 in the 3dbench database on this forum. 😀

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 21 of 28, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can understand why you wouldn't be a big fan of SiS if you bought a board with one of their post 486 chipsets, but SiS really made the best stuff during the 486 era.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 22 of 28, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I can understand why you wouldn't be a big fan of SiS if you bought a board with one of their post 486 chipsets, but SiS really made the best stuff during the 486 era.

Very true, but I reckon the SiS530 chipset wasn't really that bad?
But anything made after SiS530 I kinda try to ignore (unless it suddenly lands in my lap hehe 😜)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 23 of 28, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Yeah, there's a reason they used SiS chips on most of the high end, workstation Eisa motherboards 😉

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 24 of 28, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, that one isn't bad, aside from the crappy integrated "AGP graphics". Even the ones up into the Socket A / S478 era were decent enough for lower-end stuff... but the "lower-end" part is kinda key here. I think the bigger problem with most of the later SiS chipsets isn't really the chipsets themselves so much as the crappy boards they're usually attached to.

Reply 25 of 28, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣, didn't think one off-the-cuff comment would cause such a stir 😜

I think the motherboard comment has some truth, as my experiences with SiS stuff after the 486 era is mainly with ECS and Chaintech motherboards which were never brilliant quality to begin with.

Then again I bought a Chaintech 440LX board in 1998 that went forever with no issues at all so go figure...

Reply 26 of 28, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Yeah, that one isn't bad, aside from the crappy integrated "AGP graphics". Even the ones up into the Socket A / S478 era were decent enough for lower-end stuff... but the "lower-end" part is kinda key here. I think the bigger problem with most of the later SiS chipsets isn't really the chipsets themselves so much as the crappy boards they're usually attached to.

SiS graphics...now THERES some crappy performance. Tried one of those SiS-6236-alike thingies, those were impossible to burn forward...dog slow!
Even an old Virge seemed faster.

DonutKing wrote:

I think the motherboard comment has some truth, as my experiences with SiS stuff after the 486 era is mainly with ECS and Chaintech motherboards which were never brilliant quality to begin with.

Then again I bought a Chaintech 440LX board in 1998 that went forever with no issues at all so go figure...

ECS post 486 went the way of PC Chips, alas.
And about the LX, I kinda like the s370 LX boards. They are kinda similar to ss7, but with the Intel chipset and without all those jumpers.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 27 of 28, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, with the ET4000 W32/p, is there any way to actually check that its running in interleaved mode with 2MB of memory? I don't really notice any performance difference even in PCPBench high res modes. The card I have is a Hercules Dynamite VLB Rev D.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 28 of 28, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I just got a Trust Visionrunner 64 / ET4000W32P

It has 1meg memory installed.

20 PIN DIP sockets, 8 of them
the installed memory is marked

AAA1M304J-45
NPNX 9423 A3

So that means I need to find 8, 128K 20 Pin dip dram rated at 45ns? or faster?

I haven't found or know what to look for, any help would be appreciated.