VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought I open a thread so we gather pics and basic info (if any that is) of "strange/interesting/etc" ISA soundcards... I know most of you must have way more cool cards than me, but either way here is what I have for now:

A sound callant 8000 card, to my knowledge it was wavetable :
2v0ddmc.jpg

never tested it though.... 😒

and a Turtle Beach Tropez 32 , I have no idea if it has a good synth or any value for gaming...

27ysx78.jpg

any comment? care to post pics of your ram-taking cards? Please do 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 34, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Next we have an ATI VGA STEREO/FX card... this is actually a full-length ISA card that is both an ATI wonder VGA and an ATI STEREO/FX soundcard.... I originally bought it to save an ISA slot (for my Amiga4000 + goldengate combo) but I did not like the vga wonder part... gave me scrolling errors in apogee titles... the sound part is a sbpro compatible one IIRC (I wonder what those empty sockets are for btw) and worked fine. All vga and sound settings are stored on an onboard eprom and on the back you have the vga-out , game/midi and a LAME custom port that handles sound in/out ... IMHO sound-out should be a normal jack.

(click on thumbs for a full image)

th_IMG00300-20101220-0859.jpg

th_IMG00301-20101220-0859.jpg

th_IMG00302-20101220-0859.jpg

th_IMG00303-20101220-0859.jpg

next we have an 8-bit unknown purpose card that seems to handle Dolby surround sound. I have no idea who made it, for what purpose and how to use it. On the back you have 3 digital outupt, an input and 2 "normal 3.5mm" output jacks... any info on that?

th_IMG00305-20101220-0902.jpg

th_IMG00306-20101220-0903.jpg

we continue with a MediaVision Thunderboard (AFAIK) , an 8bit ISA card that is SB (pro?) compatible... nice little thingie and it just works 😀

th_IMG00309-20101220-0930.jpg

since we are at 8bits, here is an adlib clone (I really like those little cards 😁 )

th_IMG00304-20101220-0900.jpg

on to something more "interesting" , a SB16 (?) made for DELL , I suspect it to be on the crappy side for our standards...

th_IMG00307-20101220-0929.jpg

and a 1MB dream chipset wavetable daughterboard.... IIRC it sucks 😵

th_IMG00310-20101220-0931.jpg

and lastly something non-sound... an 8bit card that is supposed to be a HDD bios that attaches itself to your normal bios and allows older systems to use hard disks bigger than 512MB (how much bigger I have no idea) , never tested it and on the one machine it would be usefull to me (yep my IBM) has only 3 ISA slots so I am not gonna waste one for it (using diskmanager instead)

th_IMG00311-20101220-0931.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 34, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know this is not a soundcard, but I'll post it anyway.

This is an old video capture card. It's HEAVY, has a daughterboard, is ISA and doesn't even have drivers for Windows 95.

DSC00193.jpg

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 34, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I see it has some motorola dsp's on the daughterboard... I bet this is a computer-on-a-card 😁

Reply 5 of 34, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can see it has what looks like an IDE connector so it has it's own dedicated disk...but the other header looks like a floppy connector? 😕

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 6 of 34, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

maybe some of those connectors are the daughterboard connectors...
Amigaz, don't you think the daughterboard looks like it was made for amiga? 🤣

Reply 7 of 34, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

maybe some of those connectors are the daughterboard connectors...
Amigaz, don't you think the daughterboard looks like it was made for amiga? 🤣

Yeah, the motorola CPU looks like a EC68020 in the A1200 or the EC68030 in the A4000 rev D 😎

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 8 of 34, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Amigaz wrote:

I can see it has what looks like an IDE connector so it has it's own dedicated disk...but the other header looks like a floppy connector? 😕

The other header is the VGA feature Connector. It's used to connect it to a standard VGA card, kinda like SLI.
The 1st 2 headers are used to attach the daughterboard.
The smaller board pictured above the ActionMedia 2 is actually the daughterboard.
This was one of -the- first video capture cards out there and cost a lot of $$$ when it was new. Not that many were made and of those made, many were made for MCA. It supports a whopping 320x240-ish resolution!

Unfortunately I don't have the special VGA cable, I only have the board but it can be connected by the feature cable also 😀

Edit: I'm not sure what the other connectors are for. Apparently you can attach somekind of cdrom drive to it??
I'm trying to find a manual of this card that includes a description of those headers now

Reply 9 of 34, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

Next we have an ATI VGA STEREO/FX card... this is actually a full-length ISA card that is both an ATI wonder VGA and an ATI STEREO/FX soundcard....

I also have one of those, but I don't have the cables to get it to work and never found the pinouts online.
IIRC It has a real OPL chip as well, a very nice and interesting card.

Reply 10 of 34, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheLazy1 wrote:
keropi wrote:

Next we have an ATI VGA STEREO/FX card... this is actually a full-length ISA card that is both an ATI wonder VGA and an ATI STEREO/FX soundcard....

I also have one of those, but I don't have the cables to get it to work and never found the pinouts online.
IIRC It has a real OPL chip as well, a very nice and interesting card.

me neither - via trial and error I found GND , audio_out-L and audio_out-R ... never bothered to build a cable though...

Reply 12 of 34, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

> next we have an 8-bit unknown purpose card that

http://www.mirosupport.de/media/surround/surround.html

Nice! 😀 And on that page, software for DOS / Windows 3.11 / 95 / 98 / W2K / XP / NT. No Vista however. 😉

Reply 13 of 34, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ohhh thanks h-a-l-9000 !!!!
So I guess it is an obsolete card nowdays... the only use I can think of it would be to use it for surround sound when playing a DVD from a software player for example... or is it used for other stuff too?

Reply 14 of 34, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Intel Actionmedia. That must be Intel's failed attempt to conquer the video market. The main board appears to have a bunch of Intel built chips. i750 is their video controller.

The DB looks like a controller board maybe. Runs the firmware and controls the other stuff. I think two of the Motorola chips are DSPs the other a basic CPU. Audio processing?

It looks like it has connectors for SCSI drives. You aren't moving a video stream through ISA.

The smallest white connector may be a VESA passthrough to the system's video card. So you can watch your overlay video in Windows 3.1. 🤣

Reply 15 of 34, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the only use I can think of it would be to use it for surround sound when playing a DVD from a software player for example... or is it used for other stuff too?

There had to have been other uses for it, considering that it predates DVDs (and the fact that there are no DVD players for Win31 or DOS, despite the card having drivers for said OSes). I'd suspect it was more aimed at games and 'multimedia' CDROMs. But given the obscurity of the card, it's pretty clear that whatever its purpose was, it didn't catch on.

Reply 16 of 34, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not gonna lie - I seriously cannot see me using it ever... if any of the regular amigos here wants it then I 'll happily gift it or trade it with something else like a soundcard with a chipset I don't have 😊

Reply 17 of 34, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Keropi, I found this on the net:

http://www.mirosupport.de/media/surround/surr.pdf (Page 7)

On page 7, it says "Was ist miroMedia Surround?" Unfortunately, I can't read German properly. I tried to copy and paste the paragraph of information in to Google Lunatic*, but I can't seem to CTRL-C --> CTRL-V the information from the .pdf file, in to Google's webpage.

* Just me being silly.

Reply 19 of 34, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retro games 100 wrote:
Keropi, I found this on the net: […]
Show full quote

Keropi, I found this on the net:

http://www.mirosupport.de/media/surround/surr.pdf (Page 7)

On page 7, it says "Was ist miroMedia Surround?" Unfortunately, I can't read German properly. I tried to copy and paste the paragraph of information in to Google Lunatic*, but I can't seem to CTRL-C --> CTRL-V the information from the .pdf file, in to Google's webpage.

* Just me being silly.

Fortunatly I can read german 😉.
It just says that this card features a Dolby Pro Logic decoder.

You can attach 5 speakers, front l/r. center, back l/r
And requirements are MS-DOS 3.0, Win 3.x or Win95.